1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm working my notice ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 31, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

... and my supervisor with my current employer just called and asked where I was going. I told her I'd prefer not to talk about it. I just 't feel it's in my best interest to play that close to the vest, at least until I start the new job.

Am I required to tell them where I'm going? And, what other thoughts do you have about this particular circumstance?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Without knowing any more about this particular circumstance (and not sure I need to), I don't think you're under any obligation to say where you're going. People say they're leaving "to pursue other opportunities" all the time.

The exception being if you have some kind of no-compete clause, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Stay mum. It's none of their business.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

screw 'em. you're fulfilling all of your obligations. 8) 8) 8)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty unusual for someone to give notice and not say what they are doing. I don't know that it's required.

If it's work with a competitor or a conflict (you cover Podunk U and will be Podunk U's new SID) I guess you could lose that two weeks of pay.

It's possible your supervisor was asked and didn't have the answer and was trying to fill in a blank rather than something nefarious.

At lots of places it's customary to put out a notice to the effect that Wannabe is leaving effective Sept. 8 for a job sorting widgets. We wish him the best of luck. We will not be filling his position so don't ask.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

in most instances you are only too happy to tell 'em where you're headed, especially if you're moving on up in the biz. but "obligated" to tell the shop you are at where you are headed? not in any guidebook i've ever seen.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most people talk.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, not to put too fine a point on this, there are people I currently work with whom I simply don't trust. So I'm staying quiet. As SixToe said, it's none of their business. I was merely wondering if my own perspective on this was similar to the thoughts of others on here.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you're going to a competitor, you probably ought to let them know. They'll likely give you your last two weeks' pay now and send you on your way.

It's fairly standard practice in my shop.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

the only time i changed shops in 31 years in the biz it was to a competitor but to do a different job. and so amicable -- i'd been there 18 years and was leaving for a league columnist job -- they asked who i'd recommend to replace me on the team beat i was leaving.

i told 'em to hire my fiercest competitor from a rival paper. they did and have been thrilled with him for 13 years. every transition should be as seamless, for employee and employer alike.

doesn't work that way very often, though. now more than ever. :( :( :(

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know of folks who were told to leave immediately. I wasn't under the impression they were going to get paid for the two weeks they put in notice for, though.

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I don't know why trust would be an issue. If you've got the new job secured already, why does it matter whether your co-workers/current bosses know where you're going? Are you afraid they can apply pressure and you could lost the new job somehow? I've always been under the impression that it's common practice to tell them where you're going.

Draft saved Draft deleted