1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm watching the commercial adverstising the upcoming US basketball game..

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

against china and it leads of as.
    Watch Lebron James face off against Yao Ming as the US faces China...

I have a huge problem with NBC giving these one on one match up first dibs over the competition of country vs. country.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Not really sure how this is different than how any other sporting event is billed on TV.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Terrific. We do have a running olympics thread for the airing of grievences against NBC, though.

It's been mostly west-coasters about tape-delay coverage so far, but I'm sure your complaint will fit right in.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd just be pissed because they're advertising a game already played.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Big Chee is doing some serious catching up on his tivo.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm going a completely different direction: I wish there were no team sports and they didn't keep medal counts at all. Then it would be all about the individual athletes and not about which country is doing well. This is one of my big problems with NBC's coverage: I enjoy watching the best athletes regardless of where they live. But if the athlete isn't American, I'm not likely to be able to watch him or her in action.

It also really isn't fair that world-class athletes from countries that have numerous world-class athletes in a certain sport have to stay home while marginal athletes from other countries make it to the Olympics. Certainly there are a heck of a lot more than three marathoners who deserve to make the Olympics from Kenya. The U.S. barely has three.

Yeah, I'm happy when an American wins a medal, but my viewing of the Olympics isn't all about us vs. them.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You can watch pretty much anything you want if you go to NBCOlympics.com.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do you hate America, ondeadline?

I agree with part of that...like medal counts, National Anthems, etc.

Truthfully, as great as the US relay win was last night, some of the "fuck you France" comments on here bothered me as being nothing more than the jingoistic stupidity that usually ruins the Olympics.

Draft saved Draft deleted