1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm walking through Blockbuster ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 9, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And I come across "Cinderella Man." I'd never seen it. I'm 40 movies into my top 100 quest, and I'm between deliveries, so I picked it up. This movie is brilliant. I don't even like boxing, but it's just brilliant.

I'm two years late to the game but my god what a great movie.

That is all.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, it's really good. I didn't see until about a year ago, and I have no idea why. Russell Crowe is a damn fine actor.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I still haven't seen it. But if it's not a comedy, I generally don't make it a point to watch a movie. Even then, it's rare for me to park it in front of the screen.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Great scene when he goes back to the welfare office. Says a lot about what society was like back then.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It took me a couple years of people telling me how good American History X is until I finally watched it. Since then, I think I've seen it a half-dozen times, and it's still good. Perhaps I'll give this movie a spin.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. took me some time before I watched it too for that very reason... excellent film

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

there's a a scene when he walks into the hotel lobby hat in hand...and crowe pulls it off.

8. Heartily agree. This is one of Crowe's best efforts.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Insanely underrated. Great performances, great story.

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Superb movie. In the final fight, you don't even care if he wins. You just want him to survive.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I mentioned it in the thread about scenes that get you misty, but:

I love the entire final sequence, from him getting ready for the final fight, to her going to the church and it already being full of people praying for him, to the kids hiding in the stairway to listen. It really made you feel like his fight was their fight, and despite that being a pretty sappy premise, it pulls it off.

12. I co-sign on this. One of my favorites and I truly believe that had Million Dollar Baby not been such a big deal the previous year, this movie would have won the Academy Award. I have no real basis for that statement, but I felt like it got overlooked by the Academy because it was "another emotional boxing movie." And it got ignored for how great it was.

Crowe was excellent and Giamatti might have been even better. I thought Giamatti was a lock for supporting actor when I walked out of the theatre.

Draft saved Draft deleted