1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm reading my...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Jake is still alive. Hercules died of a heart attack a few years ago.

Moral of the story: washing your hands after peeing = DEATH

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Wow. Speaking of washed-up wrestlers, I met Robert Gibson of the Rock 'n' Roll Express. He had a wrestling T-shirt shop in Tuscaloosa. He had the look of a man who stared life in the eye and said "fuck it."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's not from wrestling, that's from living in Tuscaloosa! :)

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Speaking of washed-up rasslers in Alabama, I was visiting some friends in Huntsville several years ago and we went to eat at a somewhat out-of-the-way Mexican place for lunch. Guy - who at first glance appeared homeless - goes walking past the restaurant.

Turns out it was Bobby Eaton. Not sure the name of the tag team he was most famous for, but I did recognize the name.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bobby Eaton of the Midnight Express, arguably the greatest tag team of the 80's and you can make a case for greatest ever. Apparently an incredibly good guy in real life, but also a testament to the dangers of the business; even though he wasn't into the drug or party scene, he ran out of money quickly (wrestlers, even in WWE, are contracted employees and have to fend for themselves benefit-wise) and is reduced to running nostalga shows in tiny towns in the Southeast for gas money. He allegedly had a heart attack recently, but he denies it. Whatever happened, he went back on the road to do a show in the middle of nowhere in Virginia two nights later.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

From Dave Meltzer, a pro wrestling journalist (Wrestling Observer Newsletter), the show in question:

Jake Roberts headlines for Wrestle Birmingham on 11/17 in Alabama at the Community Center on a show that also features Sherri Martel, Tommy Rich, Robert Fuller, David Young, Elix Skipper, Brickhouse Brown, Lash Leroux, Mike Jackson and Ted Allen

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Jeez, how did a moderately talented relatively youngish guy like Elix Skipper get stuck on that well-past-their-15-minutes card? I didn't know Tommy Rich was with us still. It's widely believed that he got a two-day world title reign in the early 1980's in exchange for ... how can I put this delicately ... a blowjob.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Much better

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Better expand the parking, what with all the Ryan Sonner groupies sure to come in now.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Now I have the town ... Where's the nearest airport so I can start stalking slappy?

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Geez, slappy, don't you know anything about pro wrestling? Should have said you were from Parts Unknown.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tahoe... where else....

Draft saved Draft deleted