1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm going to keep score for my kid's baseball team....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, May 22, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. is nine and is on a select team that will be playing a handful of tournaments in the Toronto area over the summer. The other night at practice the head coach said he was looking for someone to keep score so I volunteered. I've done it plenty of times, but he said he would be looking for me to note many things during the game beyond the usual hits and runs. (They use a pitching machine so there are no ball/strike counts or pitch counts to worry about.)

I was about to ask him what other things he'd be looking for when he moved on to talk to some other parents. So I come to my SportsJournalists.com brothers and sisters, many of whom I am sure have scored and or coached games at the youth level: what should I be looking for?

I'd doubt there is an official scorer so I can note guys who get on base by what I think is an error. Should I note good fielding plays that take away hits? Baserunning mistakes? Should I note which part of the field base hits go to? Looking for any and all suggestions as well as any good online resources for scorecards. I've used baseballscorecards.com before but just interested if anybody has any other faves out there.

Thanks muchly...

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Please, at least know the league your son is playing in. I went out to cover a youth softball game yesterday and asked seven parents and a coach what the league was and all of the hemmed and hawed and were like, "Um...it might be minor league? I think? Or...well...no...yes, minor league."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You definitely need a notation for MILFs in the stands.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd say measure extra base hits, errors, and RBIs. If it's a pitching machine you probably won't have much more to worry about.

Yes, there's this too.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

You should probably be calculating EqA, VORP, Range Factor, stuff like that.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

BA w/ RiSP. Er, something like that. On the fly.

Edit: With two ours in either of the last two innings of a game.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ask the kids. There's always one player who takes everything in. That player will know what league they are in, the team record, the other team's records, opposing hitters batting average, OBP. Seriously. One of the kids will know for sure. I know this isn't something you want to trust, especially when you are using an 8 year old for facts, but it is true.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Congrats to Huggy Jr. on batting 1.000 in the upcoming season!

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

'Cause if I don't they won't get scholarships, right?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For the base hits, especially for the other team, where they went (was it an infield single, to left, to right, or to center) so the coach can position the fielders better the next time that kid comes to the plate ("Johnny - he hit your way last time, be ready"; shift the fielders slightly to the left if the kid hit to left) and good fielding plays on both teams.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bet you a dollar he would be thrilled if you knew how to figure out RBI.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

does he want you to call the results into the papers too? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted