1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm going to Chicago...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ostentatious, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The Field Museum is my favorite, but you can get a pass that gets you into all of the museums for a reasonable price.

Someone said earlier that Navy Pier is overrated, but it's a pretty cool place for the fam, especially at night. They often have fireworks over the water, and riding the Ferris wheel at night is really cool.

And even though you're a Brewers fan, if you haven't been to Wrigley, you have to go.

2. Mira

Mira Member

Miller Park is a great stadium to see a game, if you're a Brewers fan, it's worth the side trip. I love Wrigley, but Miller Park is awesome. (fan girl talking, here).

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you see Larry Rothschild kick him in the balls for me.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hit the Italian Village for some great Italian food ... try the seafood ravioli.

5. 20questions

20questions Guest

Fireworks end Labor Day weekend, he's going in September. That's why I didn't mention it. We took the cruise out on Lake Michigan and watched the fireworks from the water. One of the most enjoyable things we did all weekend. Not sure if they'll be running the architecture cruise that late in the fall, but you can check. I've also heard very good things about it.

Funny, I enjoyed the Museum of Science and Industry, too, but didn't mention it because I figured it was fairly nerdy. We got something called a CityPass I think that included Field, S&I, Shedd Aquarium, Hancock Tower and the planetarium, all for basically the price of admission to Shedd & Field. Well, WELL worth it. And if you're staying downtown, there's one or two bus lines that take you right to the front steps of the museums/aquariums. Definitely check the bus schedules. And if you do the Science & Industry museum, they have a pretty cool CSI setup this summer. Where basically you have to solve the murder. We weren't able to do it because the little guy would've been bored, but it looked very cool. Although, again, it may only be there until Labor Day. Not sure.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Tell 'em they get to meet Murphy, then sucker 'em into mowing. /homer simpson loud whisper voice.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Shedd. Shedd. Shedd. I'm an aquarium freak. Shedd.

Other than that, shop and eat. Don't plan too much.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Not sure how much touristy stuff you want to do... but put me in the group that thinks Navy Pier is overrated... wow... so not necessary.

If you're into shopping, walk up and down Michigan Ave... (Three story Crate&Barrel is my personal favorite.) While on Michigan, by the Wrigley building take a trip underneath to Rush St. and have a beer and burger and Billy Goat. While the novelty of the SNL skit still rings, it's still a great place for a cold beer, great burger and relaxing atmosphere.

If you're thinking Rosebuds... I dunno, I though it was overrated. Maggiano's on N. Clark street... while its a chain that can be found across the country, that location has it all, atmosphere, great food and great music. Take if from an Italian boy who hates chain restaurants... good stuff.

Find a blues bar, go have drinks at the Drake, have a pie at Giordanos, go shopping at the Water Tower or hit up the Field Museum.

Still, my favorite time killer is the Art Institute (Not he museum of modern art... it's freaky). I would go to the AI just lose myself for a few hours growing up. Great place. Oh, the collection of knight's armor is really cool.

No matter what you do, it'll be a blast. Shit, man, it's Chicago. Fuck I miss that place sometimes.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I heart blues music and among the places to go for it in Chicago is Kingston Mines, B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted and Buddy Guy's Legends (check on BG's because he's having to move to a new location soon, but not sure if it will be by September).

I agree on Magnificent Mile and the museums will be top notch.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The question is, what kind of things are you interested in? That'll help narrow things down. I'll presume, with your limited time, you won't be venturing too far from the Loop.

By the way, I would put the highly overrated Billy Goat up there with Navy Pier as a must-avoid. There a million better places to get food, and the place is a complete tourist trap. If you think you're going there to see the Real Chicago, think again. I also would put Ed Debevic's, a popular tourist eats spot, on the must-avoid list, as well. The Magnificent Mile has a lot of chains and big-name stores you might not have in your hometown, but the better, funkier shopping will come in Wicker Park or Bucktown, or perhaps Lincoln Square. If you're made of money, stop by the Oak Street boutiques.

I will second (or whatever number we're up to now) Rosebud's on Rush. Chicago Chop House is good if you're red-meat eaters. There are a good number of restaurants in the River North area. You might ask your hotel for recommendations. 437 Rush, the Mambo Grill, Brasserie Jo, Vong's and Ben Pao are all good choices, and won't break your budget like the Blue Water Grill (Wolfgang Puck's joint).

If you're limited to a few museums, make the Field your No. 1 stop, followed by Shedd. Given the size of the museums and the crowds, you'll probably only get to see one of them.

For your limited time, the river tour is worthwhile, in that you get a good view of the skyline.

If you're there at all on a weekday, you might check into tours at one of the options trading floors, just so you can see how our economy relies on screaming nicotine addicts using obscure hand signals.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice comeback...

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If zoos are your thing Lincoln Park and Brookfield are both very good too. Lincoln Park is smaller and right downtown. Not many zoos left like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted