1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm flooded in ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I live here in Bloomsburg, Pa., and nearly 9 inches of rain over the last two days means the Susquehanna has gone over its banks, and Fishing Creek has turned into the Mississippi. Interstate 80 is closed because flood waters cover the Interstate at one point. It means I can't to Williamsport, about 40 miles west of here, to go to work.

Water has been turned off in the town here (good thing I bought that six-pack of Deer Park the other day, now I can shower). Most of the town, including Bloomsburg University, doesn't have power (luckily we still do).

In 1972 Hurricane Agnes caused the worst flooding the town has ever seen. That year the mighty Susquehanna River crested at 31.2 feet (flood stage is 19 feet). They're expecting, with a little more rain today, that the river will crest at 32 feet. So the town is pretty much screwed. And more importantly to anybody who knows this area, the Bloomsburg Fair, which begins Sept. 24, is in a great deal of jeopardy considering the fairgrounds are under 6 feet of water. The fair here is an institution. Been going on for more than 130 years and is almost like one giant family reunion. Schools close for the week once it opens and everything that happens in the town that week revolves around the fair. But of course, the main thing is that people's homes and the people themselves are OK.

And on top of everything else, my cat apparently puked on my chair overnight. I didn't notice it. I sat in it. ... Sigh ...

I'm going to go for a walk. To anybody else in Pa., good luck with the flooding. I'm sure there aren't many people in the eastern half of the state who aren't affected.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hang in there.

Agnes (and the Alleghany River) flooded out my grandparents in 1972 in southern New York. I always loved driving alongside the Susquehanna on Rt. 15 on my family's trips to see our cousins in DC and on my way to and from college every year; I almost went to Susquehanna U. too.

Floods suck.

In the meantime, in the PNW we're having our hottest sustained stretch of the year and everything is dry as a bone and ready to go up in smoke. Very, very strange year, weather-wise.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Good luck. I'm on high ground and there isn't any major flooding in Stroudsburg. 100,000 people under mandatory evacuation orders in the region.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hang in there Chili Pepper. Hope things turn out better.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Good luck. To get an idea of the flooding, Knoebels Amusement Resort, just down the road a piece from the ChiliPepper, has put a bunch of pics up on Facebook showing how bad it's been hit.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150779501675551.728262.207828210550&type=1#!/pages/Knoebels-Amusement-Resort/207828210550?sk=photos

If my limited knowledge of Pa. geography is correct, this is all rainwater. Knoebels is away from the river.

Also, mods, there is a thread on Sports and News called "We got flood-sacked." Should this be combined with that one?

6. Knoebels has a creek that runs right through the middle of the park. It's not a substantial creek until we get rain like we got this week.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As I said, my limited knowledge. Thanks for setting me straight. And I hope you stay dry.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hang in there, bud (but I'm going to hell for laughing at you sitting in cat puke...)

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Whoa.

11. Then I'm going right there with you because I laughed, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted