1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm eating my spaetzle and ... a ghost?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've been on vacation all week so tonight the Bubbler clan decided to hit the local German restaurant. The place is good, but it's one of those places that's been around forever and is kind of taken for granted by the rest of the city. We were the only ones there for most of our meal. Like nearly every other German restaurant, the interior is all wooden with all manner of steins, Bavarian nomenclature, etc. Real dark, intentionally poorly lighted, etc.

Anyway, as we were eating our appetizers, we heard a huge crash from the adjoining dining room. My 5-year-old jumped a mile. At first I couldn't tell what fell down, it turned out it was a bunch of those plastic trays you fasten into hi-chairs. All of the restaurant staff was in the kitchen or at the bar, in fact, no one came to pick them up for about five minutes. No one was in that room, the lights weren't even on.

It didn't immediately strike me as weird -- shit happens -- but then I remembered that this restaurant was allegedly haunted. I whispered to my wife, so the kids didn't hear, "I think I read somewhere that this place was haunted? Maybe it was the ghost?"

She sort of rolled her eyes like she normally does when I say something she perceives to be stupid, which is like, every hour on the hour.

The wife of the restaurant owner came out and found the mess. She apologized repeatedly, saying she thought the crash came from the kitchen. We told her it was no big deal and she blurted out that it was probably, "Ed ...

"... he's our ghost."

My wife looked ashen. Fortunately she didn't say it loud enough for our kids to hear, otherwise, we would have had a problem. And after a second or two to let it sink in that she uttered it out loud, I said, "Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I read somewhere that the restaurant was haunted."

"It's on the back of our menu, sir."

"Oh yeah, that."

The ghost wasn't considered threatening, the wife of the owner seemed totally nonplussed about it, so it was kind of cool. But all eyes shot over into that dining room for the remainder of the dinner. A few more groups came in from there, and they sat two of three of them in that room, I had never seen them sit anyone in there before.

As I walked out, I made a point to look where those trays fell down. It's just conceivable enough to think they fell on their own, but just plausible enough to buy into the ghost.

Either way, thanks Ed The Ghost for making it an interesting night out.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You should have a camera crew following you around.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing says Lanford like german noodles and ghosts.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Here's the quote from the, ahem, menu ...

"The restaurant was first opened in 1963 by German emigrant Leni Hanna and her husband Ed. (Ed's ghost is still blamed for many occurrences such as broken glasses, dishes, and anything else for which no one will take the blame!) ..."

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

That Ed is a clumsy bastard.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe it's all the ghost beer he drinks

7. CentralIllinoisan

So, would that make Ed a scapeghost? :D

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

BOOOOOOOOOOO :)

9. CentralIllinoisan

You know you love it, Chef.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You eat a lot, Bubbler.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I used to live on top of a restaurant that had the same situation. Workers would come in the next day to find chairs in the dining room moved, or stuff in the kitchen knocked to the floor. And when my neighbor moved in (years before me) the ghost really fucked with him the first night he was there. It didn't bother me so much though it may have turned my stereo on a couple of times. But I think the guy was shot in the apartment next door. I know one bartender would sometimes get freaked out about staying too late though, even though it was the bar known where all the locals gathered way after last call to drink.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Next time order Jägerschnitzel. You might see a will-o'-the-wisp.

Draft saved Draft deleted