1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So if you're covering West Virginia football today ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

plus, i don't think you intentionally want to fuck every other person in the room, too.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm with Moddy on this. There isn't even anything else to write about.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sure that's what the SE's preachin' as well.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Today for tomorrow sure. But what about every day leading up to the Fiesta Bowl?

I agree this is the compelling storyline right now, overriding everything else, but eventually readers are going to want to read about the bowl matchup, too. If you don't get shit now, then when?

You can still write your "RichRod to Michigan?" story without blowing up the presser one question in.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

You mean the Rich Rodriguez is the only potential source for Fiesta Bowl previews?

6. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

"Coach, if you've nothing to hide, then address the issue."

If he goes Gundy (as an earlier poster suggested), you've got a national story. If he answers, you've got a (potential) national story. If he stumbles and mumbles, he looks like an idiot.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Why screw yourself out of a source just to look macho?

Again, I'm not saying you don't write the Michigan angle today, but why fuck yourself and every other reporter on the beat in the process? There are ways to handle this. Immediately asking about Michigan just to be a big man isn't one of them.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he's not a bad source, that's for sure. and if it comes down to holding off a few minutes on asking "the question" in order to get something out of that source, why the fuck not wait?

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Because no one cares about the game?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sounds like an answer that'd get someone fired.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

really? You don't think West Virginia fans will care about the Fiesta Bowl at all? It's going to be half empty? Holy shit ... why are they even playing it?

I think you're missing the point (or have never covered a college beat in this not-so-brave new world, in which coaches are only available sporadically). Nobody cares about the game TODAY. But what about next week, when they do care, and you've got nothing to write because you fucked up your only shot at Rich Rodriguez?

I don't see why this is so hard to understand. If you feel like you absolutely must ask the question that will end the presser, at least have the common courtesy to the rest of your beat writers to hold off until they get what they need, too.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

If you can't ask the question that needs to be asked at precisely the time that the question needs to be asked because you can't do your job without boilerplate quotes from the HC, you really shouldn't be covering D1 football.

Draft saved Draft deleted