1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So if you're covering West Virginia football today ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I would do exactly what snited said, but I would phrase my question like, "Coach, why will you leave if we ask about the Michigan job?"

Then when he either goes Gundy or walks off, I'd ask, "So, are you taking the Michigan job?"

2. Hammer Pants

Another good question ... "Coach, do you think West Virginia fans care more about this upcoming non-national championship bowl game or whether you'll be back here next year?"

3. Because most sports writers are sycophant pussies down deep?

Nothing against the WVU crew. Don't know 'em. But come on, guys. Don't these assholes set the terms enough as it is? We have to talk to them on their time, on their turf, and now you let him get away with this? Great God almighty, preserve some self-respect, would you? You think Robert Gates walks into a press conference and says, "I'm not talking about Iraq and if you ask me, I'm walking," that press corps would let it go??

I mean, press conferences are a joke anyway, stage-managed as they are. But letting him walk in there and walk all over everybody ... shameful.

And the sad part is that WVU is far, far from the only school that it would happen at.

4. Hammer Pants

I have no problem with asking a few other questions first. Hey, we've got jobs to do and notes to use.

But you HAVE to ask the question.

Did they never ask the question?

5. I thought that's what Jersey_Guy said. I haven't seen the press conference personally. If someone did, I retract what I said.

These fuckers are outnumbered about 100 to 1 in these situations, and we STILL let them off the hook. The FWAA needs to battle for access and so forth, because the atmosphere on these beats is getting untenable. But how can they seriously stand up for us when this kind of shit happens and we just let it happen? Fuck.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you have some material to carry over, ask it right off the bat.

If you need something, wait four or five questions and then ask about Michigan.

The problem is all the fans will say, "Serves them right. Coach asked not to talk about it and they asked anyway, so he should have walked out on them."

Writers are fucked either way. But you still have to ask the question. It's almost like Ralphie triple-dog daring you to stay quiet.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think if the guy actually is going to stop the conference if you ask the question, you may as well use him for what you can get before you bust his balls.

8. The more I think about it, the more I disagree with this. Screw him. He's not the boss of us. Send a message. This is the only story people in WV care about today - and Michigan, too.

First question.

And as far as the fans screaming, "Serves them right," that can't be a factor.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

When RichRod opens his presser that way, you have your lead. He doesn't want to talk about Michigan. He's declined comment about Michigan. He'll take his ball and go home if he's asked about Michigan.

You think asking him anyway is going to get you a different quote?

Midway through .... "So, Rich, any news on the Michigan front?"
    Rich: "Actually, I was in Ann Arbor yesterday, having lunch with their athletic dir ... Hey wait a minute! You got me! That was sneaky!"

I'm not opposed to asking about Michigan again near the end of the presser, just to say you did your due diligence. But he's already answered the question by preemptively declining comment. So I don't see the point of immediately causing him to walk off.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

depends what you have in the bag, i guess. if you have something else to carry you that day, shit yeah. but there's also something to be said for getting what you need.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I agree "Serves them right" can't be a factor.

You just have to know you're going to be kicked around by the suckup fans, too, after their High Holy coach walks out.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Indeed. Don't know how WVa does it, but on my (old) beat, head coach did one (1) presser between the bowl announcement day and the day the team arrived at the bowl site. If you need stuff for the next week (or more) you had to get it then.

If you don't leave that presser with enough stuff to carry you, no matter what the reason, you haven't done your job.

Ask your Michigan question if you must -- I actually disagree that you must, given that he's already declined comment -- but at least wait a few minutes in, 'k?

Draft saved Draft deleted