1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So if you're a player named by Mitchell...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think I would post a Bonds.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I agree with an earlier Ray Ratto take on this: Bunch of names, some of them new, no major surprises, and the recounting of incidents is the flash part of this report. Entertaining, but in the end won't mean much.

(Disclaimer/aside: Obviously, one extremely relevant thing will be how this affects Hall of Fame voting for a few of the greatest players of their generation.)

IF baseball and the PA follow through, then the recommendations for reform will be the substance, by far the most important part of 409 pages.

Ain't a knock on you D-3, but I've read all I'm going to based on my work needs today, and won't read more.

I won't hold my breath on substantive reforms, either.

3. Clemens, Pettitte, Tejada, and Gagne didn't surprise you?

4. chester

chester Member

Gagne, but only slightly. The first three all seemed to come up when Grimsley initially sat down with the Feds, if I remember correctly.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

From ESPN Sportsnation poll:

18) Will anything you learned from the report make you any less likely to watch baseball next season?

77.3% No
    22.7% Yes

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The report stated something to the effect that Clemens began juicing when he was with the Blue Jays.

If you look at his gawdawful stats with the Jays, and his stats in the years following, I think it's quite a telling story that his career was over in Toronto before the goodies began arriving in the mail.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't about anyone else, but Gagne is the only one of those four that surprised me.

There were reports a while ago about Clemens and Pettitte and I've long suspected Tejada used (Nomar, too ... surprised he wasn't on the list).

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate this line more than any. It WAS illegal, according to MLB rules. How many times do we have to post the memo. It was also illegal by United State Federal law. And regardless of people who want to parse it in legal terms, it was illegal in every way according to the culture of the game. Why hide your use and the lie about it (what EVERY user has done) if you are not doing something that you know is not Kosher?

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

if those names surprised you, you aren't paying attention

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

seriously, you people were surprised by gagne? gagne? really? wow. hell, i was only slightly more surprised by gagne than i was bonds was in it

my real surprises were the names NOT on the list

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Huh? Clemens won the Cy Young both years he was in Toronto.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since the possession and distribution of steroids are illegal, would this create potential visa problems for foreign players?

Draft saved Draft deleted