1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So if Torre stays...(a journalism question)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Oct 10, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The first issue is: Can we have a "journalism question" when we're talking about the New York tabloids?
    The mentality at both the News and Post is often to get it first and worry later about whether you got it right. Just keep throwing shit against the wall and when something sticks they'll trumpet how "we had it first." If it's wrong, no problem, readers have short memories.

And remember folks, we went through something simliar after the Yanks were eliminated last year ... only it was stone silence from George, and Torre not leaving his house to address the media, cancelling his season-wrap presser two or three times because he and George were pissed at each other (supposedly).
    Then came the big "breakthrough" when Torre flew to Tampa to meet one on one with the Boss and supposedly told him "If you don't want me, get rid of me now. I you want me to stay, we have to change how things are done."

This is simply the annual soap opera in which the News and Post consider it their duty to fan the flames.
    I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with journalism....it's just about beating each other (right or wrong) and selling newspapers.

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

NYDN will probably get off the hook because Mike and the Mad Dog just said that the source on the initial story was Steinbrenner himself. If that's true ...

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The Post EXCLUSIVELY reported this morning that Torre, in fact, will NOT be fired.
    There you have it.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's like them exclusively reporting that the coin will come up tails.

5. Bottom line is we are in a business where being first is more important that being factual. We are in a business where writers sit around, talk about trades that would make sense, then write them as if they are being discussed, and the amazing part is a columnist or fan will start dissing the team for considering such a move and the whole thing started out of a reporter's notebook. We spend way too much time trying to impress our peers and not enough time worrying about serving the reader properly.

6. Torre will not be fired

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2619564

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So now it's time for the A-Rod speculation-as-fact stories.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

So basically, George once again has used the NY tabs to take attention away from the Mets' success.
    No doubt why George planted the "I want Torre fired" story with a guy he considers his mouthpiece, Madden.

Simply George manipulating the tabloids so the Yankees were the lead story for 4 days while the Mets getting ready for the NLCS was pushed to the background.
    The Boss may be getting old and a little feeble, but he ain't getting stupid.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

the only solution is for papers to swear off the use of anonymous sources. either put your name on it, or don't be trusted. the risk is never taken by the source, just the byline. it ain't worth it.

the n.y. tabs are tools. i thank goodness every day that i escaped from that scene. :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I wouldn't lump the Torre story and the T.O. one together. With T.O. the press accurately reported information from a police report that termed the situation a suicide attempt. That's an accepted journalistic practice that happens every day. If the information in that original police report tuned out to be inaccurate, I don't think you can blame the media for that.

Torre was different. You could tell from the way the original Daily News story was worded that they knew they didn't have anything nailed down. They put qualifiers in, like, "unless Steinbrenner's people talk him out of it." Essentially all they were saying is that Steinbrenner was on the warpath again, which I could have reported from my living room couch. They knew they had no real news, but they still presented it as a "scoop." If that doesn't make the public distrust the media, it should.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Talking to a few 'man-on-the-street' types today...

The perception is exactly what space said: Steinbrenner changed his mind.

So... Regardless of whether that's true or not, I don't think this hurts the media's cred any further.

You gotta remember, though-- Even though they don't trust, they'll continue to consume the product. It's not a bagged-spinach scenario.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a dirty little arrangement but it works well for both sides. The public? Not so much

Draft saved Draft deleted