1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I saved a life today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Awesome, ByDesign!

[​IMG]

It's not the same as certified CPR training, but I found this training website from the University of Washington School of Medicine that could help:

Learn CPR

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

great job byd!

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Outstanding work, BD.
    I'm jealous. While in college, and working summer for the Ohio Dept. of Transportation, I witnessed a nasty accident. I, and others, got to one car overturned in a rain-swollen ditch, lifted the car so the occupant's head was above water and tried all we could to help before EMTs arrived. The guy, who turned out to be a youth leader at his church, died shortly after we turned over the reins. I still think about him often, some 17 years later. Wish I could say I saved a life, too.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Congratulations, BD. That's awesome.

I had to give CPR once, years ago, when I was a volunteer fireman. The woman eventually died, but I suspect she'd been down a while before we got there. It was a little creepy.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nice job, man. Makes me want to get my certification renewed. I could definitely use a refresher.

BTW, anyone know anything about that story that came out awhile back about part of CPR not really being necessary (I can't remember if it was breathing into the mouth or chest compressions -- I think it was the breathing part)?

6. KG

KG Active Member

The breathing part gets the air in and the compressions help to circulate the oxygen through the bloodstream. I can't imagine one of the two not beng necessary. Who knows though, maybe there's a new way now.

Is it still 2/5 for breaths/compressions?

7. markvid

markvid Guest

It was on the Today show, a doc is advocating chest compressions only, as the blood needs to move through the body and it will supply oxygen where needed.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

With the breaths, I think the onions i had had with lunch maybe kick started her...

Thanks for all the kudos... just hope this will inspire some to learn as well.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's the way it was when I was trained a few weeks ago.

10. KP

KP Active Member

A big slap on the back for BD.

Draft saved Draft deleted