1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I saved a life today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Sep 25, 2007.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I never thought I would have to use my CPR training. Really hoped I never would. But thank God I knew what to do when the need arose.

I was waiting for a train on MARTA to go to work when the northbound train pulled in. A lady, probably in her late 30s, stumbled onto the platform. And then collapsed. So kind of caught herself somehow, so she didn't hit her head or hit the floor hard enough to break anything. I thought she had just fainted and seeing how I was about 10 feet away, figured I should see if she was alright.

She wasn't breathing. No pulse. I announced to the newly formed crowd for someone to call 911 and proceeded to administer CPR. Two breaths was all it took for her to get going again. I don't know if I could have handled having to do chest compressions.

Turns out she has some heart/blood pressure problems; she's taking atenenol, the same meds I take for my blood pressure and rapid heart beat. She left work early because she didn't feel well and thought she could make it home to take care of the problem. She felt light headed when the train pulled in and someone helped her off the car, leading to her collapse.

It's been a day, to say the least. I want to tell people about it so maybe they will be inspired to take classes, but didn't want to come off as pompous because of my "heroic" act. I told some people at work, but wanted to share with my friends on the board. With the stressful profession that is sports journalism, it's a reminder that we need to take care of ourselves, even if it's just a little bit.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We gravel at your feet. Not many people get to put "saved a life" on their resume. Awesome.

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

i don't believe you. If she was on MARTA she had to be black.

5. Good work, dude.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The closest I ever came was pulling a little kid out of a swimming pool who was was in water too deep. All that happened was a couple of coughs and a smile when I asked if he was OK.

Bydesign, you da man!

7. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

what he posted!

Just think, in saving her life, you may have saved others'. You certainly saved a bunch of people some grief :)

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Not in Buckhead. The all-black trains are south of five points. :)

9. An old lady from Atlanta once told me that MARTA stands for Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta. Racist as shit, and maybe I'm just as guilty for repeating it, but whatever ...

10. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

LOL!!!

I got a ton of black on black jokes - but I wouldn't give this board the pleasure.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Great work, ByDesign!

12. bydesign does something great. Awesome job, man.

And in SportsJournalists.com fashion, a troll tries to fuck up the thread.

Tremendous

Draft saved Draft deleted