1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I really pay no income tax?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't turn into a political argument, but I'm just curious, with the often-repated "47 percent of all Americans pay no income tax." If I'm one of those 47 percent.
    Like everyone else, I had taxes deducted from every paycheck. When I filed, I ended up getting a refund.
    Does that mean I did not pay any income tax?
    Again, not looking for an argument about the politics of it, I'm just a little (or maybe a lot) ignorant of how this works.

2. Nope. You just gave the federal government an interest-free loan for a year.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If your refund wasn't equal to or more than the total you paid in payroll deductions then you did pay taxes. You just paid too much in payroll deductions and, as Waylon pointed out, provided the government with an interest-free loan

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I can't believe you seriously don't know if you paid taxes.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think I was wrong and smallpotatoes is actually a sock puppet doing performance art. I thought the threads about every parental complaint and every knock under the hood of his car were true, but between this and the "she didn't even accept my apology!" thread, I think it's just performance art I fell for.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is a gross oversimplification, but it applies to so many:

If you owe the Feds penny one in taxes, you're paying federal income tax.
    How much the Feds withheld re your salary in any specific calendar year
    is irrelevant to the discussion.

Glad to help clarify this in your mind.

Now:

This 47% business is more teabag shitstirring . . . bootlicking of their Gilded Age masters. 150+ years of this shit in this country . . . it's bloody
    remarkable, people politicking and voting against their own best interests.
    Mass hypnosis is an amazing thing.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is a good read, blows the 47 percent myth out of the water

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/business/economy/14leonhardt.html

8. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

To be intellectually fair if you are going to include social security taxes as a tax burden then you also have to consider social security benefits (and Medicare) as a tax credit in that equation.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is smallpo really this much of a pea brain?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just apologize and move on.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

What if you die before you receive those benefits?

From that article:

"I realize that it’s possible to argue that payroll taxes should be excluded from the discussion because they pay for benefits — Social Security and Medicare — that people receive on the back end. But that argument doesn’t seem very persuasive.

Why? People do not receive benefits equal to the payroll taxes they paid. Those who die at age 70 will receive much less in Social Security and Medicare than they paid in taxes. Those who die at 95 will probably get much more. "

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted