1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I Need A Computer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by icoverbucks, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Apple says you can't be a good journalist without a Mac.

http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/missouri/#video-missouri

2. And not even necessarily for that. My last paper used Macs and we all wanted to slam them against the wall because of how many issues they had with designing. I went Mac and went back at the first chance I got.

I'd say getting a Mac is like playing roulette. You're essentially paying extra money to take a gamble where you could end up with a great experience, but you're equally likely to land a dud. If you're willing to take the risk and have the extra money, look at a Mac. If you just want something you know will work, go for the PC.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Man, that's weird, I'm at a PC shop and anybody who has a choice gets a Mac. I use a Mac and for some things I do I access a PC environment in a cloud. My Mac operates better in the cloud than most of the PCs.

I'm virus free, everything runs smoother and faster for any work application I need it for. I was a PC guy 6-7 years ago, but I can't see EVER going back that direction.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, Mac dominates our office. Been great.

5. You must have got a good one. Macs are either really good or really bad with no in-between, whereas you know what you're getting with a PC. I've had three bad experiences with Macs against zero good ones, so I'd never switch back to a Mac.

I have fewer problems on the PC and everything just runs better on it compared to a Mac. Yes, I had to pay $40 for virus software, but that still leaves me about $250 ahead of a Mac and I'm also virus-free as a result. I'm definitely a PC guy, and that's only been strengthened now that I work in an office that is all PCs.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've had several good ones and one bad one (an I-Mac). I have a pro now that's work-issued and I have my own regular macbook. Both are great. I once worked at an all-Mac shop and honestly, there was one bad batch of I-books referenced above. But when it became obvious Mac had made a dud, they bought them back and sold the place a bunch of first-generation Pros (they were new at the time) at a big discount for our trouble.

And I can say that without question, that Macbook was the best computer I've ever owned relative to the technology of the moment.

That's another thing that has separated Mac in my eyes. When it became obvious they had made a dud, at least in our situation they took steps to remedy the situation to protect the brand reputation. And it worked.

Draft saved Draft deleted