1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I May Have Turned Old Overnight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, May 18, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It is, since my sister had epidurals with two of three kids. I still mock her for the tramp stamp, and I love tattoos.

2. Snopes is undetermined, basically saying people have been doing it for years but apparently Canada is looking into the risks, if any.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/tattoo.asp

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Funny you mentioned piercings, Crazed.

My then-13 year old son had been making noises about getting his ear pierced. So on New Year's Eve '06, my wife took him to the mall and had it done. I was the definition of the word "reluctant," and frankly wasn't on board with any of it. But my wife pointed out that there's nothing wrong with this; that he's a good kid and this doesn't change any of that.

He had a small, titanium ball put in his ear and gradually, I warmed up to it. I'm of the belief that some guys can pull off earrings and some can't. Little Birdscribe is in the former camp and I'm in the latter.

Besides, it completely scrambled the eggs of my right-wing, stuck-in-the-1940s mother-in-law, so the entertainment value from that was worth the price of admission.

Well, once he entered high school, he couldn't wear it and the hole closed up. So a couple months ago, now-15-year-old high school sophomore Not So Little Bird (he's nearly 6-2) comes home sporting earrings in BOTH ears.

This was too much. I voiced my displeasure at piercings in both ears -- to deaf ears from both him and his mother. But the ensuing Dean's detention he got for wearing them (albeit covered up with band-aids) to school took care of that.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And Franco thought playing for the Seahawks was a shitty way to end up?

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

So, here is an update. Was anyone aware that there is an aftercare program when you get a tattoo? And that there is some residual pain? ::)

Oh, and you may stick to the sheet. ::)

Today, not as much fun for the child as yesterday.

I was a good dad today, I helped her clean it up, put the ointment on and only made about 50 jokes.

I could have easily gone a hundred...But I like her best when she isn't saying "shut up dad"

6. sportschick

Get her some tattoo goo. Stuff smells great (and works).

7. Dirk Legume

Thanks SC, I will recommend it. Right now she is switching between Neosporin and hand lotion.

8. sportschick

http://www.tattoogoo.com/

Bag Balm is also probably better than either of the things she's currently using. Least that's what my tattoo guy says.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The beautiful thing about getting pierced is, at least the ears and probably some other places, they go away if you quit using them.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's a buried lede somewhere in the above post

11. Dirk Legume

Yes, the same child has a lower lip piercing, which I have kind of come to think is cute, probably because it is on my child.

She tends to lose the jewel end (she has to take it off for work) about once every couple of weeks. She then has to run to the piercing place "because if I don't it'll close up".

Ten bucks a pop, but it's her money.

And SC thanks again.

12. sportschick

Anytime, Dirk. Both the tattoo goo and the bag balm will leave a film on her skin for several hours that will help protect it from things like sticky sheets or clothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted