1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

so I may be a born again seamhead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have always been a casual baseball fan but my interest really waned when Les Expos got screwed by MLB and left Montreal.

Flash forward to this afternoon in Viera, Florida where I am watching a spring training game between the Nationals and Braves. Space coast Stadium was cool, it was a fun, friendly atmosphere depite being being an overcast grey day.

I was sitting along the first base line about 20 rows up with my wife, 12 year old daughter, 2 year old daughter, father in law and his new girlfriend who is a big baseball fan and the reason we are all at the game.

Top of the first inning and Chipper Jones fouls off a pitch into the stands and everyone around us gets to their feet. I finally pick up the ball against the sky and realize I have a shot at catching a major league foul ball.

Instead the ball touches down 4 seats away where my father in law has managed to barehand it with his left hand while holding my 2 year old daughter with his right arm. I should probably mention that he had 2 eye surgeries on his left eye this week which only made this more impressive.

The ball bounced off his palm and rolled to my feet where I picked it up and now have a cool souvenier to start our vacation.

This by far surpassed the time I froze my ass in Candlestick in 88 or the times I have been bored out of my skull watching the Jays at Skydome.

I have decided that I will follow the Nationals this year. I know that they apparently suck and that Moddy takes some abuse here for being a fan but I am officially on the bandwagon.

The only thing that would make this better is if the team revived Youpi but I don't see it happening.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Youppi had an honest to God joie de vivre that all mascots wish they really had.

Tampa Bay's Raymond comes pretty damn close.

I was thinking about buying this for my man cave (now sadly out of stock).

http://nineteeneightyeight.com/index.php/la/greatest-sports-moments/prints-daveperillo-baseballmascots.html?SID=0a4c8a885415e15b624fed3d6faf6dcb

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Stras is pitching, I'm VERY interested.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just so long as Peter King didn't get it.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to Hell. Our deprogrammers will be in touch.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think Youppi! (can't forget the exclamation point) is now a mascot of Les Canadiens.

Draft saved Draft deleted