1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I lied today ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Normally, I never lie. You might think that's a lie, but I assure you that it's not. It hurts me to lie, makes me feel dirty and rotten. Sometimes even when I know it would be prudent I can't do it. It's one of the reasons why people think I'm an asshole. I'm not afraid to say what I think needs to be said. If a girlfriend asked me if I liked her hair and I didn't, I'd say so. It's just part of who I am.

But today, well, today was different. It wasn't a huge lie or one that altered the course of anything. I didn't do it to save myself from a situation or better my position. I just did it. And it felt fucking amazing. When this person asked the question -- the question wasn't even important, just a simple get-to-know question about what I do for a living -- it was like they were handing me the power to dictate to them whatever I wanted. Whatever I said would be taken and believed as the truth and the reply could have been anything. I embraced that power.

So I wanted to know, is this normal? Is this how it feels to lie and lie well? I don't condone lying, still feel it's just morally wrong, but fuck, what an amazing feeling.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lying = sex, money, promotions, etc.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's an interesting feeling. Then again, can you really trust me to be telling the truth on that?

4. Clever username

You know what? That's my fault. I did not anticipate that, and I should have. I'm never starting a thread again.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now I'm not sure if your toilet was ever really clogged.

6. Clever username

Apparently it wasn't. It was the line somewhere.

7. I believe it was clogged. Whether it remained clogged for so long is my question.

And I can count on one hand the number of times I lie in a year. Most of the time I fess up. I hate the guilt.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I think it depends on what you're lying about.

If you're bullshiting with a co-worker about your college years ... fine.

If you're not telling the truth about past relationships, money, etc. with your significant other ... yeah, that's a problem.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For fuck's sake! Now we have threads about lying! You're all a bunch of moronic children! [spnited/]

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you never lie, you've obviously never been asked the single worst question in the history of civilization: "Honey, does this dress make me look fat?"

11. Clever username

One of the many benefits of dating slim, athletic women. I did tell a girlfriend that a dress she tried on made her look like she was piece of plywood with appendages. This thing dropped straight down from the shoulders. She had lovely hips, but there was no way you would have ever known it from that garbage bag.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Woman: So, Clever, what do you do?
    Clever: Funny you would ask. I'm actually a world-saving, billionaire philanthropist who specializes in giving the homeless homes and starving children food.
    Woman: Oh wow.
    Clever: So, what do you do?
    Woman: I'm a journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted