1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I *know* Green Bay is white, and all, but damn ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mb

mb Active Member

... seriously?

Having never lived north of the Mason-Dixon, that just blows me away.

/And, yes, that's from today

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Having lived in that area, I'm not surprised.

There are maybe about ten black people in all of northeast Wisconsin.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

More than a quarter-century ago, when I was working in Charlotte, I interviewed a local football player who'd been with the Packers briefly. He told me a story about walking around town with another black player, looking for other black folk, finally running into a black guy. They asked him, "Hey, where's the, uh, black community around here?"
    He smiled and said: "We're it."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And they all play WR, DB or DL for the Packers. ;D

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I won't believe this story until True Wisconsite (TM) Bubbler checks in.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He may confirm that the Green Bay police hired multiple dead-deer fuckers before they ever hired a black person.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Try being a single black female in that part of the world -- I imagine you would probably feel like a real outsider.

it is part of the everyday life. Whenever a large/in-shape man "of color" is in his 20s, you can see the townsfolk scrambling to figure out which Packer it is.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Z-Man counts ... he's my brother.

Until I read it from the SI vault, I had no idea whether the story below was apocryphal or not, but when James Lofton was drafted by the Packers in the late 70s, he was greeted by some Green Bay-area fans in a very unique way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126200/3/index.htm

That was 1978, so times have changed there. To the extent that it might be racist today, Green Bay isn't overtly racist towards blacks (Hmong and Native Americans? That's another story), it's more cluelessly racist because there are so few blacks there.

It's why a lot of black Packers get down to Milwaukee the first chance they get.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Come on Bubbler...

I'm white and I sprinted from GB for Milwaukee, too.

GB isn't exactly teeming with nightlife, for folks of any color.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't want to say anything ... :D

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yeah, the only "action" to be had in that part of the world is going to Park Central in downtown Appleton for "kiddie night"...or have times changed since 1993? :)

Either that or go 'snappin' beans' in Mackville.

If you're from there, it's easy to get defensive about it -- but I've always felt it is a real challenge for getting free agents to Green Bay. If you're Ted Thompson, after a single guy on the Free Agency list and the other teams in the chase are Atlanta, Miami, Houston or Tampa... be ready to make the best offer, by far.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He applauds...

[​IMG]

My question is how does someone know to ask the "Is this the first?" question?

Was this a well known fact that no black man has ever been hired as a police officer? Was this police department so proud that they sent out a press release?

Draft saved Draft deleted