1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I just registered to take the LSAT...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Aug 29, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Now he has.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and with that, waylon rules.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Can't remember the exact score (I've had beer since then), but I was in the 95th percentile.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not like you do, TP.

Now where's my hug, bitch? ;)

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

On the main page this thread title is truncated to "So I just registered ..."

And when I saw Petty had posted on it, I figured the rest of the thread title was "as a sex offender."

6. Eh.

;D

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hmm, Waylon thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I was planning on checking out the practice tests on the LSAC site, so I'll definitely do that.

I'm checking out those Amazon links right now.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Obviously, it will depend on the score, but I certainly don't feel like I absolutely need to go a school at the very top. For example, UConn law, right nearby me, is a really quality program (it would presumably cost me less, being in state). Their incoming class last year had a median LSAT score in the 90th percentile.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Waylon nailed it. Get the real tests. And study the freeze-dried FUCK out of the logic games. Unless you have a natural aptitude for them, they will kick your anus harder than the other sections.

I will say that I got once piece of advice from the Princeton Review book that probably bumped me up a few points. Pick a letter, and when you run out of time, you use that letter to take wild guesses quickly. (believe me, you WILL run out of time on at least one and possibly all the multiple choice sections. that's what the test is created to do, to make you run out of time).

So I hit a logic games section, and I did okay with two five-question segments, and less than okay on the third. At which point it was announced that we had two minutes to finish. Oh fuck. I get to one, figure out one of the answers in about a minute, then spend the other minute answering B to the final nine questions.

I get my score, and it's okay, a 157. Probably good enough to get me into a third-tier school, but probably not enough to make me think I'd be a good lawyer (77th percentile sounds nice, but then everyone who's applying is at least at 60, and most are probably higher than me). Then I take the answer key and look at how many I got right from my last-minute B frenzy. The nine questions, as follows:

B B B B B B D B B

Mystery Meat, the luckiest motherfucker in LSAT history. Unfortunately, that I could only get a 157 with my string of miracle B's probably killed my law school dreams once and for all. I don't think that kind of fortune replicates well in the criminal law final.

Oh, and don't get intimidated by the douchebags around you. You'll have people studying flashcards and shit in the hall, you'll have people who bring special pencils and their own timer and do whatever incantations they need to do to get into their stupid ass zone. Just keep on keeping on and hope for the best. And STUDY THE FUCKING LOGIC GAMES.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks Meat. I just started practicing recently, and indeed the logic games seem to me to be the most complicated, or at the very least, most time consuming. I'm going to have to work out a good strategy for them.

That's pretty crazy stuff about the B string. I'm sure I'm going to be guessing quite a bit at the end of the sections.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Beaker: Best game-day strategy is to do a quick scan on all five games and sorta rank them in your mind from easiest to hardest. Don't spend more than a minute, maybe 90 seconds on it, but you'll be better off hitting the ones you feel most comfortable with first, instead of just starting with 1 and moving your way down.

The good news is everyone else is having the same drama. Except for the naturally gifted ones. And you don't want to go to school with those jerks anyway.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Meat, that's sort of what I've read so far, I've just got to try and figure out a way to try and identify which games will give me the most trouble and skip them. Hopefully after taking enough practice tests, that will become evident.

And yeah actually, in all seriousness, a top, top-tier school sounds nice, but I'm not sure how well I'd fit in there. I want a competitive environment, but I don't want to feel like everyone's simply trying to outdo me.

Draft saved Draft deleted