1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I got into grad school today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Nov 14, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

But there is one caveat. I have to take something called the PPST which from the research I have done is some kind of skills test for prospective teachers.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these tests? I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a study guide and I was able to figure out that this is not the kind of test one could go into with no preparation, much like all standardized tests. I figure I will take it and see how I do and if I don't do well I will take it again and push back my enrollment until September.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Congrats on getting in, Ross! I remember looking into the PPST and it seemed like just an upgraded version of the SAT, but I'm not 100 percent. When can/do you take it?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. Congrats. I was looking at LSAT prep books last night at BAM.

2. I always thought the PPST was to determine a baseline of the testee's understanding. Like if you bombed on the math portion, they'd know to steer you away from teaching AP algebra. I didn't know it could affect your spot in grad school.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

IIRC, you're right, but there's a minimum you do have to get so they know they aren't adding (more) idiots to the teaching pool. (Not implying you're an idiot, ross)

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Is Sally Struthers the chancellor of this school?

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Not sure it affects my spot at all, they just told me that in order to get in I have to take it. I would never teach math, how can I teach a subject I am not very good at.

Ducky-I have to schedule a date to take it, I am going to take a few weeks and study and maybe take the test the first week of December. School starts Jan. 20ish and I have no idea how long it takes to get the results back from the exam.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

It is UNLV so that is possible. ;)

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Grad school? Get a job!

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I did, I used to be a sportswriter until I got laid off :)

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

It's a statistical fact that women who have attended grad school are the most likely to perform fellatio.

If that isn't enough reason to pass that test, nothing is.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Now where's that info in the Genius issue of Esquire?

(Nice Vince Vaughn story, btw.)

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

In that case, I am leaving tomorrow

Draft saved Draft deleted