1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I got a Wii for Christmas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 26, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, fuck. That just might put me over the edge.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buck, if they still are a bitch to find, I'll tell you how I picked up mine.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

Mario Kart Wii is awesome. My son and I spent two hours last night playing over the wireless connection, racing people from Japan, Germany, England and the West Coast. Incredible.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

What is the Mario Kart experience like if you don't have the extra little steering wheel thingy?

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm apparently way too nice of a guy. I bought one of these last year for our apartment at school and kept it for the year. At the end, I decided to sell it to my friend because I don't play video games that much (unless it's a college basketball game). I sold it for $125, but it seems I probably could have gotten face value for it.

Oh, and you really don't need a good shoulder for the game. Just flick your wrists. I was amazing at golf and my high score on bowling was 247.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

OK, I feel like a giant dope - I've had the Wii for a year and never bothered to hook it up to the internet because I didn't realize it had built-in wi-fi. Just set it up and downloaded Sonic the Hedgehog from the old Sega Genesis.

Pretty cool.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

You're fine without the steering wheel. I have one and actually prefer not using it.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was at the mall the other day, and watching people play Wii games is fun.

I haven't indulged in the Wii experience yet. But I'm eager.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I'm horrible when I try to drive with the Wii-mote or the steering wheel.

I prefer the classic control with automatic gear shift.

That being said, if you race online against someone who uses the Wii-mote and manual shift, you'll get absolutely smoked.

The great part of Mario Kart Online is that you can download the videos of the fastest times in the world and learn all the shortcuts (if you don't want to get them off youtube).

Also with the Wii, I've learned how bad I am at all the Mario World games (although Donkey Kong Country rocks).

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When I bought it in October, they did not sit on the shelf longer than 2-3 hours.

11. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Bought one for the kid this Christmas. My wife was fine with it, but she kept hinting that I bought it for myself. We unwrap it and, wouldn't you know it, she played it more than anyone. She bowled so much that her arm hurt was sore the next day. Kid loves it, too, especially boxing.

If you do get one, Angola, you won't have to buy any new games other than Wii sports for a while. It's addictive.

My inlaws visited and got into it as well. Father in law loves golf and bowling. He and I had some classic matchups already in bowling. I've broken 200 a couple times. I'm not as good at tennis (still halfway from becoming a pro) but that is easily my favorite.

MarioKart is a tad hard for the five-year old, but my wife and I like it. We also got the Clone Wars light saber game, but so far we spend most of our time on Wii sports.

Haven't forked out $5 for the Internet channel yet, will do soon.

12. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

We broke out the Nerf Blasters game today -- AWESOME!
    For younger kids, this is great because it is basically point and shoot.
    But I dug it too!

Draft saved Draft deleted