1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I finally saw Indy 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by king cranium maximus IV, Dec 19, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far, only because I was forced to watch Monster In Law, The Notebook and the Exorcism of Emily Rose all in theaters. Those three are FAR worse.

2. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

You guys are nuts. I thought it rocked! Best of the bunch.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Um, there's only room for one douche on this board and I have seniority. :)

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That has to be a joke.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Because the first three were so realistic.

6. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Ha. I haven't seen it. I probably wouldn't, though, even if it hadn't received the horrible reviews. I tried to re-watch the first one recently and realized just how easily amused I must have been when I was like 9. The slapstick is just awful.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Exactly. You have to suspend belief for most movies. The "it's not realistic" argument is bullshit. Any superhero movie (The Dark Knight included), Star Wars, etc. are all unrealistic.

Look, if you were hoping for another Raiders of the Lost Ark, yes you were going to be sorely disappointed. But I didn't. Indy 4 wasn't very good but it was far from bad.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is still a believability factor in science fiction and fantasy movies. The point is to set up your rules and play by them. Audiences will go a long way with you as long as you don't break the rules you had already established. I think that was the problem here. They kept me on these movies through the Ark of the Covenant melting people and water from the Holy Grail saving Indy's father, but they lost me in this one with the trick with the fridge.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The fridge scene didn't lose me nearly as much as the jungle chase and, most especially, the aliens at the end. The fridge just seemed like normal suspension of disbelief, like some of the funny "effects" in Die Hard or many other movies.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I thought the fridge was stupid... but it was the chase that really pissed me off.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I was watching Freaks and Geeks on DVD last night, and LaBeauf was in a bit part as the injured school mascot. He was 13, but easy to spot.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was the worst part, just the part where they lost me.

Draft saved Draft deleted