1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I Bought An iMac - What Should I Do With It?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I have fish running around in one of those. Love that damn thing. (And the fish.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Nice work on the fish tank!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't give it to me.

I just bought a new iMac two months ago.

And a nifty little Russian-English keyboard just arrived in the mail this week. Try getting one of those from Apple.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've never been able to tolerate Macs, but have been incredibly jealous of all the cool, interweaving programs that come with the platform.

It seems incredibly basic, which is a plus. There's too much going on with my Windows laptop. But I'm so comfortable with it, why make the switch?

(Unless, of course, I used that program they have to run Windows on a Mac.)

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Since this thread has some life, does anyone know which file sharing program works best with Macs?

I had Limewire Pro (a free, pirated edition) when I had a PC.

What works best for Mac? That is, has no viruses (which Macs are immune to anyway), no ads, etc.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

may i ask why you'd want to file share?

7. Pete Incaviglia

I want free music. Okay, yes, it's illegal, I know. Even though I have 1,000 songs ripped from CD onto my iTunes, I still like to add to it.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awwwww. gotcha. sorry for the dumb question.

9. Pete Incaviglia

I should have been more specific, like this:

What is the most compatible music-stealing program for Macs?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the real pete incaviglia is wondering why the cops just kicked in his door and cuffed him.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I just did a little googling, so I'm not sure they work, but there appears to be several torrent programs which would run on a Mac.

Try Xtorrent or tomato torrent. Download one of those programs, then go to mininova.org or isohunt.com and search for whatever you're looking for. When you click on one of your search results, it will download a small file. Have Xtorrent or tomato torrent or whatever other program you choose open that file and it will start downloading your selection.

It should be a lot safer than Limewire. First, I haven't heard about anyone getting busted using it. Occasionally they shut down one of the sites, but they tend to open as fast as they close. Limewire people got busted, I know. Also, it doesn't come with nearly as many viruses. Limewire was really shitty in that regard -- it put all sorts of spyware on your PC. And your Mac isn't immune to such problems, my impression is the bad guys just don't spend as much time trying to hack a Mac as they do a PC, so it's something you still need to be aware of. If Mac continues to grab a larger share of the market, that may change.

It is a lot easier to find whole CDs this way than it was on Limewire. Most of the stuff comes in big packages, like you can download a whole Friends season at one time (if you know, that's your thing ... or Heroes or 24 or Gilmore Girls) or a whole movie or a whole album or, as if often the case, a whole discography for one band. You can also download the Billboard top 100 just about every week I think. If you're only looking for some of those songs, you can go through and select exactly which ones you want downloaded. All that said, it can be a little hard to find one song in particular, especially a unique or rare one.

My, uh, friend told me all that.

Draft saved Draft deleted