1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I bought a new house...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gomer, Mar 31, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Up north I guess your biggest worry might be how you're going to clear the driveway from that wonderful wintry precipitation.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

But, but... she says we don't have to do anything it's so nice!

No, I wear those of my own accord. On weekends I run through fields of flowers yodeling.

And soon I'll be able to do that in any of my five bedrooms.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It's not just in the winter... there's two feet of it outside as I speak.

I think doing chores like that the first few times would be fun - ooh, I'm a homeowner, I have a driveway! After that it'll probably be more like oh, #@%!, I'm a homeowner, I have a #!%~* driveway.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No shit. When I was in college a friend's mom decided she wanted to redo the kitchen one summer. By the time we left to go back to school his folks were building a new house.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you have a driveway, you'd better have a snowblower.

Otherwise, home ownership is great. Mowing the lawn on a hot day is always a good reason to pull out a couple of beers and chat over the fence with the neighbors.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Keep a list of people you trust to do work on the house (roofer, plumber, etc...) Hopefully you have a home warranty, I would keep it up to date each year.

Now that spring is here, trow down some Scott's fertilizer and weed preventer. Stay with the Scott's schedule. A nice yard is something to be proud of, and it does not take a ton of effort. Look at what goes on sale at a nice garden center. Plant a few bushes or perennial flowers each spring or fall and your yard will get nicer and nicer.

Do a CIP (capital improvement plan) for your house. List all the things in the next 10 years that you need to do.

1. Repave driveway (1-2 years)
    2. New roof (5-6 years)
    3. Finish attic (3-4 years)
    4. Work shed (1-2 years)
    5. New carpet (8-10 years)

This will help you down the road if you feel like spending more than a decade in the house.

Be sure the HVAC system in your house is checked out. Get a service contract with an HVAC company to check you place out and a bug man for termites.

Owning property is a great thing.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you can afford a five bedroom house, you should be able to afford a cleaning lady---even once every two weeks. Invaluable.

BTW, where in Canuckistan do you live?

If you're in the GTA, Huggy, HC & myself would love to come over for a beer or three. :)

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you have two feet of snow on the ground now, my question would be, Can you configure your new house to get it on wheels? 'Cause I'd be towing that sucker to Arizona or Florida.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Wheels, eh? Nah, I'm happy where I am.

Southern Alberta, JR. Born in the big smoke, moved to Alberta in '87. Worked where Beef03's from for a couple years and even hired him to replace me.

I will be in the Hamilton area in late June, and will be going to a Ti-Cats game while I'm there. Got lots of family to see out that way.

Oh, and Devil, what's an HVAC? Nobody's mentioned that to me before. As for the other stuff, the place isn't NEW new, but it has been seriously renovated with a new roof, carpet, kitchen, etc. in the past three years. There's a shed and the attic is finished. I will be looking into building a garage in the next 10 years though, and you're right, putting together a financial plan for big projects like that would be a good idea.

Thanks for the ideas so far everybody. I'm getting really excited about moving in, even if it is four weeks away.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You better include repaint the exterior in 5-6 years.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

HVAC - Heating, ventilating and air conditioning

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Gotcha, thanks HC.

I had a home inspection done and all was well. Guy said it was one of the best places he'd inspected in quite a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted