1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your tab coming?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bumpy mcgee, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have two pages left which I will finish today, and then I can start on getting stuff ready for Week Zero.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Could Texas please get over this Week Zero bullshit? It's been more than a decade since the UIL moved up the start of the season. I think there are less than 20 schools that don't play next weekend.

It's the first week of the season, call it Week One.

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

48 Page high school tab? That is insane. If, there is a 33 percent advertising ratio then I would say go for it (that would be $$$$$$). But, if these tabs are not ad supported it's dumb to do them. If you want, spread them over extra pages in the newspaper and make it a week long preview.

Unless the ads support these sections, we should NEVER do them. 48 page pullout with scant ads? Talk about overkill and a waste of money.

4. Football_Bat

What a lot of people don't remember is that up until 1980 most teams were given 11 weeks to play 10 games. So Zero Week was not this innovative thing when it was brought back in 1998.

I'd be in favor of requiring teams to adhere to 10 playing dates again if the sentiment ever shifted toward it (which it never will of course). Seventeen weeks of football is too much.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

ours was 48 pages. we have 29 teams, including about 15 or so that are primary teams in our coverage area. I haven't done the math, but 33 percent advertising is about right. it should be better, but i can't sell ads for them.
    BTW, prep football is pretty important in my area.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Texas is probably working on its next bonehead move...five teams in the playoffs from each district and the last place team if the lowest enrollment trumping that fifth entry. Brilliant shit, eh?

7. Football_Bat

You should stick to being an idiot in politics. In sports, you're a triple idiot.

8. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

Our section is 12-page broadsheet covering three high schools in our section with at least 60 percent advertising in the section

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

so we're less than 29 hours until print deadline...stories are done minus a few quotes we're getting today at a media day, just need one photo we're getting today, capsules are done, rosters are done, schedules are done and design is 95 percent done. everything is done except ads are still not placed. i can promise come 5 p.m. today even if no ad work is still done there will be a stampede to punch out.

10. ScribePharisee

Go play with yourself man. Has Texas not expanded the playoffs to four teams per district? This watered-down shit is in other states too. And to boot, Texas essentially has 10 state championships with two divisions in each. Granted, they have a shitload of teams in the state, but with all of this playoff expansion dictated by the "money factor" and justified by the "let's all be winners" mentality, it flat out sucks. It waters down what champion is all about. Like Arkansas's ridiculous A through 7A. Or Oklahoma's 32 teams in each class - at least Texas has 32 teams in each district.

11. ScribePharisee

So I guarantee you, in a few years, FOUR playoff teams in each district WON'T BE ENOUGH.

12. jps

jps Active Member

it's called pride in product. in some places, believe it or not, it still exists. long as it's not losing money, you're providing a resource to your readers - which is sort of the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted