1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your tab coming?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bumpy mcgee, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I can take little credit for these:

An 80-page Prep Tab published last Sunday.
    A 40-page College Tab that comes out soon.

We gotta play 'em one day at a time.
    I'm just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ballclub.
    I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.

I simply helped the ballclub, as did everybody else.

2. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'm feeling positive about ours. Print deadline is Tuesday at 5, would love to have all the writing and photos done by this Saturday so Sunday and Monday can be design and proof days. We're just a few stories shy of putting everything on the pages and seeing what sticks.

3. Our tab is 20 pages smaller than last year, 144 pages this season. Ads are about 60-40, but the ad dept is rumored to have practically given them away ....
    Tab prints Tuesday, had done it as a stitch n' trim job in the past, regular tab production this year... Comes out the day of kickoff.

4. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

Good news for us. We bumped up in pages and sold way more ads than we have the previous two years. Most of them were full page ads. Don't know how much they charged for them, but if it wasn't dirt cheap, major props to our ad folks.

Will wrap it on Friday and print next week. Thank God it and the college tab is done.

5. We couldn't sell the tab enough any longer, so for the past few years we've done a preview series, one conference a day leading up to the season opener.

Once you get over the fact you're not making any extra coin for the paper, it's actually pretty nice. The work is much more spread out - you're not doing it all for one deadline. And for the later schools - we save the city schools for last - you can get some much more updated information into the stories.

The tradeoff is, for the reader, it's not all in one neat package like the tab.

6. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Finished!!!!! Thank Goodness. Pulled two 15-our shifts and believe my vision is permanently blurred. Gonna go drink a beer or two … or 15 right now and see if that corrects the problem.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Got an email from our publisher saying someone from sports needs to be at the editorial meeting Monday to discuss special projects coming up. Have my fingers crossed that there won't be a tab, but I guess we'll see.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

just found out today ads hasn't put ads on pages/designed ads, so they're doing it monday. hopefully we don't lose a lot of design time on the day before the tab is due because of ads.
    i mean they only knew the production schedule a month ago, so we shouldn't be mad, right?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Per his profile, he's from Texas. They'll read it.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

No clue how long or how hard it was...my SE moved the date up and did it all himself, minus the stories I wrote.
    Should I be mad? I mean, on one hand, he bounced me out of it completly, on the other hand...I didn't have to do dick for it! LOL

11. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

I'm jealous of you guys for getting it done. I've been circling the runway for about a month because practices don't start until next week around here. I have about 10 previews done already, but expect the bulk of them to come in this weekend and next week. I'll be scrambling.

Stories due a week from today. Week to edit and lay it out. Send it. Start covering games. Phew.

12. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, if you've never been through you just don't probably understand. but they'll read it in one sitting and then you'll have a voice mail in the morning asking why you didn't have more.

Draft saved Draft deleted