1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your tab coming?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bumpy mcgee, Aug 17, 2009.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Fall is nearing, school is starting, so here's my question:
    How's your tab coming?
    Feel free to vent at the incompetence that athletic directors are or the lack of your ad department being able to sell a tab.
    Swing for the fences, bitch away.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Nonexistent.

Just had to be the first.

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The lack of ads never ceases to baffle me. We've got 12 pages, maybe five or six ads and none more than a quarter page (only one of those). Shouldn't this be the one section we sell better than any other? Anyway, copy deadline is this week, still finishing up the cover story and a couple of sidebar things and waiting for team previews from a few people.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

we start laying out the 48-page prep tab tomorrow. has to be done by thursday at midnight. then, we dive straight into the 16-page college preview. it has to be finished by Monday. still missing some rosters and three stringer-authored stories. Oh yeah, and i still have to write the centerpiece. other than that, it's going swimmingly. Nothing else is going on this time of year except that prep volleyball starts saturday, cross country next week, football jamborees this thursday and friday, and of course the local D-2 college starts volleyball and soccer next week and is looking for previews.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

No tab this year. Not missing it at all ...

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

We've had some problems with incompetent ADs, but I think we're off to a good start.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wrote the last story Friday, prints tomorrow, hits the streets this coming Friday -- a day after the first prep game of the season.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I've been told we will have a tab, but that they've yet to start selling for it. Nice.

As far as the actual content, that's not a problem. We've done a feature for each team every day since preseason camp started so we're pretty in tune with how things are going to be.

Though with the way things are going, I'm getting more worried with each day whether we will have a tab. Our ad people can't sell at all.

9. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Beats me. I don't really give a shit anymore either.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

First August since 1984 or '85 for me to have no involvement in a football tab. I do not miss it. I've had a lifetime supply.

[​IMG]

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've gotten ahold of one coach, still have another, goes to press Thursday, prints Friday. The ad people at my shop are idiotic and never bother to ask us where we want ads or what we want out of a tab, so we'll be fudging with where they put them so we can have a real centerspread.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

48 broadsheet here... four 12-page sections.

Just checked the ad log: 544 inches of ads listed -- 48 broadsheets is 6048 inches of space. Uh oh.

I'm supposed to receive the dummies today. For some reason, I'm guessing at 9 percent advertising, I won't be receiving those 48 pages that were promised... not that I blame them, if that's what happens, but the work has already been done in terms of writing, photographs, graphics to fill the 48.

Draft saved Draft deleted