1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your golf game these days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 31, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

So your friend Grimmy gave you hard wood?

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

no, but his sister certainly did. Shhhh.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My favorite story about my old 9-iron is I was playing on a course and had a shot over water -- probably only about 70 yards of water and the green sat right behind it.

After bragging about my trusty 9 and how it never fails me, I step up and hit the ball -- but I hit it square, didn't get under it at all and it was one of those line drives shot out of a cannon. The funny thing was, it skipped twice on the lake and bounced off a short concrete retaining wall on the lake's perimeter and I swear to God bounced straight up in the air, on the green and rolled to about nine feet from the pin.

I turned around and told my friends "You see, it is magical...." then smiled and got back into the cart. Of course, all three of them stood there in shock for a minute, but that's been the running joke every time we've golfed since "Uh, oh, he's got his magic wand out..."

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Shot a 115 yesterday, which was my second-worst round of the year (Been out about 15 times) and played a three-person scramble today. We shot an 87. I wish I could shoot an 87 by myself, but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Yesterday I was on in 3 on a 460-yard par-5 and proceeded to four putt. That hole alone made my decision for day beer much easier.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My game's where its been for the past 6 years. I can shoot 85-95 every time out but I couldn't break 85 if my life depended on it. The main reason, though, is probably because I've had the same clubs for those 6 years (i was 13 then) and I've grown 7 inches since then. Not to mention they were a shitty 99 dollar set at Dick's. I definitely need new clubs. My putting game has improved immensely since I got a new Odyssey putter.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I must say my best club is my 56 degree wedge. Just sometimes when I get too under it and hit it too high it just goes straight up and I mean straight up and drops like 10 feet in front of me. Other times with my short irons I try to get under it, and I just hit a low skimmer that travels forever.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Shot 73 Sunday...(par-70)....was 1-under going into 17.........finished bogey, triple.

That's the problem I have......do everything great.......finish like shit.

Best Club: 60* Cleveland L-Wedge......hit it from 60 to 105........back it up, make it check.....best club I have.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is a guy on here who is upset about shooting a 73......Thanks for making me feel like shit as well as ruining my day. ;)

How did you get so good?

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'm not upset about shooting 73......I'm upset about going 4 over the last 2 holes.

How did I get good......practice, practice, practice.

2 times a week, I go out to the course, and spend a good hour chipping and putting.......never even setting foot on the course.

I typically play 4-5 times a week.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Saturday: 45, 44, 42
    Monday: 44, 45 -- Three three putts. Extremely disappointed with that.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

With some guys I regularly play with........

.50 greenies (on the green in regulation)

1.00 birdies (making birdie)

1.00 sandies (getting up and down from a bunker)

1.00 3-putt (3 putts or more)

When I had the (bad word that no golfer should ever say, but rhymes with skanks) I would be down 5 or 6 bucks a round from the three-wiggles.

Got rid of them a couple years ago, though.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on the neighborhood he gets the lessons in -- Big difference in price between a teacher at Oakmont and Oak Pasture, if you catch my drift...

But in the $30 range is probably fair...

Draft saved Draft deleted