1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your golf game these days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 31, 2007.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Open up your stance a bit.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I still ain't bought those clubs. Maybe this weekend.
    My son wants lessons for his birthday. What's a good rate?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It seems like this is where a lot of us are --- we are better than the 120-130 hackers we used to be but now we are to the point where we want cut those last nine or ten strokes consistently to get into the 84-89 range.

It is amazing how hard those ten strokes are to come by and mostly because I can't consistently do everything well -- my drive is on, my putter is off, my putter is on, my chipping is off, my iron's are on, my drive's are off... it is frustrating, but it is still a lot of fun

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

My clubs have about five inches of dust on them. It's a shame, too, since I live in a golf-rich environment. I'm breaking them out soon enough, though. Last time I played, I was consistently shooting 90-95. By now, who knows. If I break 100 my first time out, I'll be happy.

I'd like some new clubs. Those Callaways in the ad just above look pretty good, but I'm sure it'll take some serious coin to drive home with those.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What ads?

6. zagoshe

Do you like these drivers with the real big face? I think personally it is getting out of hand, but I do like the fact that you can miss and still give it a ride.

My best club without a doubt is a Callaway 3-wood I got from a friend. I hit the shit out of that club......then, sniff, sniff, 5-putt

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I can't hit the driver worth a shit; no matter which one I hit. And my favorite clubs are the hybrid clubs. You can use 'em for just about any shot. And in my game, there's plenty of opportunity.

8. zagoshe

Is that what some people call a "rescue" club? I have tried to hit those a few times with very disastrous results. It seems like it could be a good club to use if you can use it but I just can't hit it right.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Yeah, that's it. I have one made by Tight Lies. Great club. I even use it off the tee on short par 4s.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I carry two clubs in my bag:

[​IMG]

11. zagoshe

Is that your "comfort" club?

Everyone has one, I'm sure.

I have an old, old 9-iron that I kept from my first set. I like it because I can hit it straight 999 times out of 1000, with good loft and put it very close to where I want to. I just have great control of it so I pull it out and use it when I am in a spot where I need to make a good shot.

I have a new 9-iron that I can hit for more distance and all that but I don't have control of it.

Do you have a club like that?

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

My comfort club is an old 5-wood. I call it the Grimmy club. Way back in my teens, when I first started playing, a friend of mine -- Grimmy was his nickname -- gave it to me during a round. I hit it perfect the first time and it hasn't let me down since. I hit it straighter and further than my driver.

Draft saved Draft deleted