1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your golf game these days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 31, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pallister dropped Torii Hunter in one league and I picked him up.

I will never tire of typing the above sentence...

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know, how I finished that hole hurt so bad that I think the further I get away from that day, I'll just begin to describe that particular double bogey as......

"I hit a horrible drive that went into the lake, then my second drive landed under a tree so I had to punch it out for my fourth shot. My fifth shot was an unbelievable 3-wood that landed just below the green. I then chipped up above the cup and let it roll down to within a few feet and putted it in for an incredible save of a double bogey......." ;D

3. zagoshe

Seriously, what would your handicap be if you (a) chipped/short game (100 yards and in) with say 75 percent more accuracy and (b) improved your putting say 75 percent?

I honestly would cut 10 to 15 strokes per round because those two areas are where I leave so many strokes on the course.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If it takes more than four, it's a bore.

5. zagoshe

Yeah, I just get frustrated when I can't play at a reasonable pace and watching not one, not two but three groups plod through and take their good old time in front of me really ruined my round.

I really do need to be a little more patient but what happened today was ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

I mean one of the groups was two older women walking -- and they only had one bag. So if one hit right and the other hit left they had to walk together and being as they sprayed it everywhere they walked over every inch of the course on almost every hole.

It just got old and rather than get pissed and start hitting into them (as a means of letting them know it is time to speed up) I just figured I'd leave instead.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I know my game sucks. The last time I played was several years ago and it wasn't pretty. Had a playing partner tell me once that I had "a blackbelt in golf." He said I might hurt anyone on the course the same time as me.
    [blue] But, I can hit a driver 300+ yards just like Tiger and John Daly. It goes straight down the fairway for 150 yards, then it takes a sharp right turn and goes another 150 yards that direction.[/blue]

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Those old ladies ... did either have a last name of Havenkamp?

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The lowest handicap I've ever carried was 3. Right now, I'm probably playing in double-digits for the first time since I was 12 or 13.

The key is short game. Short game. Short game. Short game.

Yes, you need to hit the range, but spend some time on the green, too.

10. zagoshe

I don't know -- I just know I was pissing and moaning and once you start to do that it is no longer fun nor are you able to play well.

And correct me if I am wrong, but don't most golf courses have a one person per bag rule?

11. Absolutely. I got down to an 8 at one point last year -- back up to 12 now, with a propensity to be much higher -- and it didn't happen until I started spending an hour or so 4-5 times a week at the practice green at the course.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Not too bad, shot a 99 as my best this season so far. I have played about 5 rounds. I just need to figure out my short irons, then I'll be fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted