1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your golf game these days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 31, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well, got out and played for the first time this year today. Just played at a local par-71 course and had a decent back nine with a 48. But a 54 on the front nine killed me, especially the two holes I took a snowman on (an eight). So while I had a 102, it should have easily been a 98, which is average for me.

But considering I haven't played since October, I wasn't too disappointed. My putting was OK, but my drives were awful for the most part.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

87 on Sunday

89 on Monday

3rd and 4th rounds of the year. Hitting the ball straight, putting like I am 8.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You're an asshole. ;)

Damn, I wish just once I could break 90 on a par-70, 71 or 72.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Played a par 65 course on Monday and played really well.

Played yesterday at a decent course. The highlight was putting for an eagle on a 475 yard par 5 -- driver and hybrid to 6 feet. The lowlights were missing the eagle putt and going triple, quad, triple on the last three holes to turn what would have been a record round into a 99 (which is only the 5th time that I've broken 100).

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know what people give a fuck about less than your fantasy baseball team?

Your golf scores. :D

OK, please continue.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've had three eagle putts in my life, all on short par 4s. Twice, I ended up with bogey, once with par. :(

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Went today and didn't finish. Picked up my ball after I putted in on 13 and we went home.

I didn't want to play any more because the three groups ahead of me might have been the slowest three groups -- and one was a twosome --- I have ever seen.

It was miserable from the start, hit, wait, hit, wait --- we were on the course for 4 hours and 35 minutes and we -- I was in a twosome -- and we only completed 13 holes.

Some people have patience -- I just don't go for the five or six hour round of golf, particularly not on a weekday when I am riding with a buddy.

Slow golfers really take all the fun out of it for everyone because we had people riding up our asses the entire time as well. By about the third hole I was ready to go home -- it just frustrates me.

There is no reason courses can't push people to move forward and I think the rudest thing any group can do is not allow others to play through if they want to play slow and take their time. It was awful.

Does anyone else get frustrated when they get behind these painfully slow golfers? And what is your tolerance level as far as time it takes to play a round?

Five is my absolute max but I'm not happy when it takes that long.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hit the drive of my life -- even though I aimed for the middle of the fairway, I cut the corner and flew over the dogleg. I then landed the hybrid about 20 yards short of the green and it rolled just right of the pin. The eagle putt had zero break but I just pushed it wide. Been thinking a lot about that missed putt over the past 24 hours.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The other day I played a 555-yard par 5 -- hit a very good drive, blasted a three-wood that ended up rolling up to the green so I was putting for an Eagle, a long putt, but no less an eagle putt......

I took a 7.

That's always fun.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Ah, the dreaded five-putt. When people ask how you did it, you can paraphrase Seve: "I mees, I mees, I mees, I mees, I make."

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's amazing. People spend so much money hitting the driving range to hit the piss out of 50 balls (me included), but they won't sniff the practice green (I at least warm up there). What club do you use more than your putter? If I do more than two-putt I get frustrated.

I think today, I had three three-putts. To say nothing of the makeable one-putts I turned into two-putts.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. YOUR fantasy baseball team
    Stay on track please.
    And have a Happy AP Budget, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted