1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, how wrong is THIS?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jun 14, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was coaching in Omaha, and Eddie Shore sends me this guy...

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It's called Television. Or radio. We have a station that runs our stories on the air every morning, right or wrong.

3. Ohhh. I forget it was Joe McGrath who trained me in the office.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I got a good deal on them boys!

BTW, to keep it on topic, I'm guessing hair gel with a microphone should be looking for new work soon. Unfathomable that people are that dumb.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

No, it's called plagiarism. Some people do things right in broadcast, some don't. This is a clearcut, egregious example of one who is not doing the right thing. Send an email to his news director, ask how the "sports director" can possibly justify putting his name on that. Hold him accountable. However, please don't accuse everyone else in broadcasting of having no standards just because some guys are clowns.

6. If anything, have your editor call their news director. If you're just a reporter, don't get involved.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

They brought their fuckin' TOYS with 'em!

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Steve Colbeagle the eagle was unavailable for comment as of Wednesday night.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Every piece of shit that comes on the market, you gotta buy...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Can never go wrong with a Slap Shot-jack. But I am familiar with this story. I know Mike Davies who is a good guy and he does a good job covering the Petes. Bullshit job by the TV guy.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm actually not at either shop, just was cruising the 'net and found this on one of the local channels websites, read the story...and it looked WAAAY to well written to be by the TV clown, so I grabbed some of the story and googled it. Viola! There it was, word-for-word, from a newspaper.
    Unless they gave them permission (which I highly doubt) and even waived adding a link to the original story (yeah, like someone would let that happen), I am guessing it's straight up plagiarism! Especially adding his name to the top and dropping the "The Examiner has learned" part in the lede.

WOW.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh, and to continue the sidebar to this thread....

"This young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe."

Draft saved Draft deleted