1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how many Chrysler plants will actually reopen?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 17, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

... now that they're all shut down til Jan. 19:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/17/autos/chrysler_shutdown/index.htm?postversion=2008121717

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

If there's a bailout, less than half.
    If there isn't, none.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does this include parts plants?

I don't own a Chrysler, but if the Big Three stop making cars, they'll keep making parts for all of the people that own their cars, right?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Aftermarket companies certainly will make parts, but I have no idea about the Big Three.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Yeah, and Heath Ledger will keep making movies.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, OK.

I guess that makes sense. It's not necessarily the car companies who make the parts, it is other companies?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Holy Shit.

It's only a matter of time before guys are standing on the corner selling apples.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's not a surprise that it is happening, it's just the few week extension which has got people worried.

I'm going to say most, if not all, will reopen on Jan. 19. It's anyone's guess how long they will last though.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not if the manufacturers go under.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's why the other automakers are encouraging the government to bail out the Big Three -- because they use a lot of the same suppliers, and those suppliers will go out of business if the Big Three does, and then the McConnell Toyota plant can't get their hands on any locally made parts.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Again, I ask:

Why isn't the auto industry rescue being touted as crucial for national security?

After Pearl Harbor, General Motors and the other car plants were immediately converted to the war cause. Should something along those lines happen again (and given human nature, it's bound to at some point) America would be unable to convert to military construction overnight, even accounting for nationalizing the handful of Nissan, Toyota, BMW and Honda plants remaining should the American auto manufacturers close.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The only auto division of Chrysler that is worth much is Jeep. Those plants may open again - - possibly under the ownership of some entity other than Chrysler - - but the other plants are questionable at best.

Draft saved Draft deleted