1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how do YOU make friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 19, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

how you doin? :D

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

KY is the BOARD CHAMPION. It's over!

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

what do i win?

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Cadet, apparently. Lucky bastard.

And, MysteryMeat, if I can offer some advice. It's hard to force friendship. My best advice is to go out and do something you enjoy doing. Chances are, there will be other people there and don't be afraid to strike up a conversation. Are you gonna find a best friend (or even a decent friend) right away? Probably not. But you will if you keep putting yourself out there.

Also, take an art and/or crafts class, or something to that affect. Chances are, you won't be the only beginner. A lot of people bond that way, when they're all learning something new together.
    You seem pretty together about all this, so I know you'll be fine. But, don't forget, if you ever need to talk, it seems like you have plenty of people on SportsJournalists.com who care about ya.

5. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

*kicking KY out of the way*
    So, how's it going? [/RalphFurleyImpersonation]

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I could have written this WFW.

I find myself thinking much the same thing more often than not. Of course, that kind of attitude is a huge roadblock to actually succeeding at making friends. But when things go a certain way for so long, it's a hard habit to break.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is that how you make friends of either gender?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't try to make friends... My radiant, brilliant personality just seems to attract people. I'm kind of like the pied piper that way.

Some people just naturally attract others. My best friend in college was one of those people. Just something about him. Easy-going, talented, nicest guy in the world, but it is really a quality I can't really put my finger on that draws people in. And he was friends with everyone in college. He STILL collects people. And everyone thought they were closer with him than they probably were. It was a big enough school where you couldn't possibly know everyone. But we'd be walking around on campus and he knew EVERYONE and everyone knew him. It sort of became a running joke. He'd introduce me to someone, the person would walk away, and I'd say, "Best friends, freshman year, right?"

I know that isn't really advice. I don't know how you make friends. You just sort of live your life and it happens, doesn't it?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

MM, get married.

There is your best friend.

Have a kid with your wife. There is another constant companion.

Think about going to church. Especially one with a progressive service and not too stuffy.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, yeah, 93, great advice.

"Hey, I know you're struggling to meet someone. Just fall in love and get married and procreate. That should be easier than finding someone to do lunch with once in a while."

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

lol

But once marraige and a kid happens, it seems like, IMHO, that you just do not seem to have time for so many friends. Your times is taken with other things.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But he's not asking about 15 years down the road.

Jesus. (And no, that's not an endorsement of your "Go make some God friends" advice either)

Draft saved Draft deleted