1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how do YOU make friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, GET RID OF THAT DAMN Xbox and any other game consoles you have. They will eat your life away, bro!

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

MM, the next Grand Theft Auto comes out in a mere 10 days or so.

Grab a copy, and you won't WANT to leave home for oh, say, six months.

Trust me.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Like this guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I don't. I made great friends in college and have a couple left from high school.

I moved far, far away from home for my first, second, third and fourth jobs and made exactly one friend. A co-worker I still call twice a week to this day. And visit once a year.

I'm a social guy. My wife hates that I talk so much. But I'm a small talker, chit-chatter. I'm not out looking for friends, just sources and people to pass the time with during pre-games, halftimes and intermissions.

I'm back within three hours of home and I make a point to visit once a month. And some friends come this way, too. That's enough for me.

My wife? Very different. She needs friends - even if they aren't really "friends."

She googled our town name and new moms and found some clubs, clinics, etc.

She got a full blown social life in about a week. It was amazing to watch.

Me? I'm content chilling on the couch, reading and watching sports.

I think it's 'cause I grew up in the countryside - 40 minutes from the nearest city - and had a lot of time to myself as a kid. It's also probably why I chose a "creative" vocation.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It was a little easier for me when I moved 12 hours away from home because I went back to school, and met plenty of people in class and whatnot.

Other than that, though, I don't mind going to the bar to watch a game and every now and then run into someone you can becomes friends with. You won't hit the jackpot every time, but you never know.

Pay attention to your neighbors, too. If, for example, you're a golfer (which I don't think you are), and you see him loading up his clubs, there ya go.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't, Meat. I've made one friend at work recently, but I doubt we'll hang out outside of the office -- at least for a while. The last time I made a friend I didn't work with was about 18 months ago. My neighbors, who lived next door for a few months, invited me over to watch Monday Night Football. I ended up hanging out with them until I moved away. A year later, I watch Full House. That's about it.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Treat it like dating -- it's all about maximizing your opportunities. The more people you meet, the more likely you are to find a person or a group you click with.

Every hour you spend playing Xbox is an hour you could have spent somewhere, doing something, that could carry forward. The failure rate is high, but not as high as Xbox.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Meat, was this the thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1738210/ ?

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

i cant remember the last time i met someone i didnt already know through a friend. but i usually dont get a chance to go out and meet new people that often.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't make friends. Makes it easier when I inevitably turn on bitch mode.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Shhhhhhhhh. It gets worse. Promise.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I put out. Seems to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted