1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how do YOU make friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

(note -- I swear I remember this thread, or one like it, but I can't find it now)

Okay, so it's a Saturday night, and I'm sitting in my bedroom, looking out the window at a perfect spring evening. My Xbox is on. And, barring anything unforseen, that's my night's plans. Again.

When I started my current job a few months back, people from the office invited me to hang out with them. After a couple of times, that stopped. I don't remember doing anything offensive or embarassing, but I've got the kind of personality only tolerable in small, widely-spaced doses. I don't blame them -- there's no rule that you have to want to be friends with everyone in the office, and I wouldn't have fun knowing people were being put out by my being there. Besides, it's not like it hasn't happened anywhere else for me, so it's really hard to hold it against them. Hell, I'd do it too if I could.

So since work friends appear to be out, and being a night-side desker makes being social harder, how do you make friends outside the office? Because this shit's getting depressing, even for me. But then part of me says "look, you can't keep friends, and people generally don't choose to be around you, so why should you fuck up someone else's good time with your ... you?" At which point I turn on my Xbox and settle in for the night. But eventually Mr. Driller gets old, y'know?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The thing is, people make friends in different ways. Sometimes, it's people who work together. Perhaps it's people with common interests. Perhaps a social group meets during the days. There may be some kind of groups listing in your paper or another similar location. Try that.

3. I just joined a softball team and we had our first practice today. They seem like a good bunch of guys that you can go to the bar with, have a few beers and just chill. Will they become good friends? Who knows, but it's a start.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I, uh, don't.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Incriminating photos. Works every time.

6. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to meet people in the service industry. They work similar hours. Plus they usually have the necessary disposition that apparently is needed to hang out with some offbeat characters.
    Most bars will be the "home base" for at least one restaraunt. Go there. Watch some sports, get into sports discussions with someone or two, hit on a chick or two. Repeat.
    The only downside to this plan is that you'll have to become a bar regular. But I never found that distinction to actually have a downside.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

MM, when I get a job and move out your direction, we can hang out and be miserable together.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, I got on The Google for you and found something called Adult Friend Finder.

Maybe you should try that.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Friends are over-rated. I thought I had good friends but it was not the case.

I'm in the process of making new friends as well. After the New Year, I decided to cut ties with my buddies including one that I've been "best" friends with for over 8-years. It seems like I made an asshole move but I analyze the relation I had with these circle of "friends" I had and I realized that my friendship was less valued than theirs.

What I mean by less valued is that, through out the friendship, one or two of my interests, plans, or ideas hardly ever came into use with them. But I always manage to fake my interest with their interests and hobbies. But I was easy for me to enjoy some of their stuff during my late teens and early 20's but I'm 25, I have lost all the interests I had 5 years ago.

I know people change over years and they get older but shit when I look back at the years of our friendship, I think we've only done two or three things that were of my plans while the rest were their ideas. Basically, I was an outcast amongst my own group of "friends."

So this upcoming summer, I already booked a few concerts that I'll be seeing alone and doing other things that I enjoy doing. I made offers to these so-called friends but not one wanted to come along. Yeah I'll be going solo but at least I get to see the bands I love.

Hopefully, I'll meet some great new friends that share my interests and hobbies.

Good luck Meat, don't worry about friends, worry about yourself first and do the things you like to do, eventually you'll strike interests from other people.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Don't rule out sucking cock at the Greyhound station.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

For coke?

(NSFW)

Draft saved Draft deleted