1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, how can we be sure that the stock market is not fixed?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Now, hear me out...

I know Ragu is already 1000 words into his response before I even finish, but...

In the movie The Big Short, bond ratings are pretty much worthless because Standard and Poor's are basically giving AAA ratings because they want to keep their customers happy.

Wells Fargo created thousands of fake accounts for people to met some crazy quota.

Mortgage companies gave loans out like candy on Halloween in the early 2000s.

Credit card companies will bleed you dry with high-interest rates.

We, the government, will do anything to keep big businesses that employ thousands of Americans afloat in the name of the economy. Look at Obama's bailouts.

Everything I have seen in the last 20-30 years tells me big money is playing without any rules or the only rule is do whatever it takes to keep everything going until it just shatters as the housing market did in the 2000s.

So if Wall Street was collapsing, would they even tell us? Would they think that telling people the market is strong be the fix for a sliding market? Whose job is it to tell us? Is that a Trump-appointed position? A run on Wall Street would cripple this country, right?

Does anyone see where I am going with this?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a buddy in the loan business who sent me an email showing a competitor saying NINJA (no income/no job verification) loans are back!

Party like its 2009

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a stacked deck. Hedge funds. High-speed trades. Tax rules.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I mean ... You’re not wrong, but you’re not exactly right, either. And no, I don’t see where you’re going with this.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Do you trust the stock market numbers under Trump or do you think he is telling them to cook the books to make him look good?

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Oh, cool. Catch you later.

Draft saved Draft deleted