1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, has anyone noticed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First, and we've said it before: A few examples on this thread are of things that have happened in publications (whatever form) purveying the written word since 1600. Single typos, a graphic that didn't get completely updated ... those happened in 1975, 1985, 1995 and 2008 -- no matter what the staffing or morale of the paper (or, now, website) was.

Typos and errors happen in our business -- always have and now, given the circumstances, always will.

That said, I must agree with Moddy overall. I'm getting some very shoddily edited work in my newspaper at home, well beyond what should be considered part of the business. And obviously, stretched-thin, frustrated staffs are the main reason.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're right, SF, errors do happen and will continue to forever. But now we see these errors in the context of layoffs and cutbacks and it's just hard to take. Whether it's your local small paper or SI, you'll see a mistake and instinctively think, damn, that wouldn't have happened back in the day. And 90 percent of the time, I think that logic would be correct nowadays.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I'll agree, kind of.

If you say, "that mistake wouldn't have happened back in the day," I really don't agree.

Problem is, it's "All those mistakes wouldn't have happened back in the day."

Draft saved Draft deleted