1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, has anyone noticed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. I've noticed more and more mistakes in major papers like The New York Times. I was in NYC a few weeks ago and saw countless mistakes in the Daily News, Post and Newsday. It was pretty depressing.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Is there even any question about this?

News hole = down.

Enterprise reporting = down.

Quality = down.

Circulation = down.

Profits = down.

See the connection?

3. Morale=down.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

no shit! I wish I could say i still care, but that's just not the case.
    I feel kinda like Peter in Office Space.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what this guy said.

7. and ceo salaries = up.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Boy howdy.

There are problems with our paper, most of which stem from a lack of bodies — fewer people being asked to do more, no copy desk, reporters filling in for photogs, etc. What's more concerning is seeing the effect of all these extra demands on those actually working here. Our SE, as lively and jovial a guy as you'll meet, seems to get more down-trodden by the day. I've heard a lot of, "There's nothing we can do," "We can't always be perfect" and "I just don't want to fight with (editor)."

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Either the SE needs to get himself out of there or people working for that beaten-down of a boss need to get themselves out of there.

It's like the towel has been tossed into the ring, the bell has been rung, the crowd is heading toward the exits, yet the winner keeps pummeling the hell out of the loser and no one is stopping the fight, for the love of God.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

He's a pillar of the community and a local celebrity, so he's not going anywhere.

Everyone else? Give it time. Most of us don't have roots anywhere near as deep.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There are definitely more errors in my copy now. Sometimes, you just miss things, no matter how many times you've read it over. That's why it pays to have a second set of eyes on stories, and we just don't have that luxury. Our copy editors just seem to assume that all errors will be caught by the editor reading the story, so they don't even read stories on the page.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I couldn't find a rack at my favorite greasy spoon the last time I visited my mother. Reading it on the Internet -- that's not the point. A man should be able to read his home state's newspaper when he plunks down two bits for a cup of coffee.

Draft saved Draft deleted