1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, has anyone noticed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't mean the thinner papers, etc. I mean the obvious strain on the desk by so many layoffs, buyouts.

Today, I was reading one of the papers I read regularly (not my former paper). I got to a story by a name I had never seen and it was awful. There's no way, simply NO WAY, it was edited. Poor grammar. Cliches. Just really bad.
    Not going to name the paper or the writer, that would serve no purpose. And I'm not really sure any of this has a purpose. But this is a paper I've always enjoyed and respected. It is the first time I have said "holy shit!"

Anyone else see a decline in quality anywhere?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's the circ. of the paper?

3. captzulu

captzulu Member

Absolutely. My old paper has shown a steady increase of blatant mistakes that would've been caught with even the most cursory of proofreading (typos in heds, missing words, etc.). I know from talking to people there that most nights it's a struggle just getting the section filled up and out by deadline.

4. Moderator1

It's a big 'un, not sure of the circ. Major metro.
    But you did not answer the question.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Everywhere, it seems to me.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, i've noticed more in the smaller papers i read. the larger papers in the PNW still are pretty tight, though.

7. Moderator1

I have shared the piece with someone here to see if I am being too harsh about this particular story.

8. Babs

Babs Member

I've noticed less coverage of sports not called football or baseball.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Contantly in my paper.
    My co-worker and I can only pick up on so many typos when we're taking photos, laying out our paper and covering games/writing stories.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Our circ is 20K and we're running four corrections tomorrow (none in sports!) because the Sunday night staff is so damn skeletal.

11. I've seen it everywhere. Even Sports Illustrated.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Typo in word one of your post. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted