1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So GM's filing for bankruptcy today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 1, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I almost look at it as some form of discrimination. Just doesn't pass the smell test for me.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If the gov is lining up to pump $30 billion more into GM, that's hardly telling them to go pound sand.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did I miss the no-strings attached policy for GM and Chrysler as there was the financial sector?

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

No... I guess not...
    Maybe I just misread. The post seemed, to me, to be saying something along the lines of "We bailed out the financial industry, but we let the car industry fail." And I'm just saying we're hardly just letting the car industry fail.
    I'm completely zonked right now, so I'm having trouble organizing any thoughts on the subject -- so I may hate what I say or how I say it in the morning.
    But my general thought is that the differences in handling the situation stem not from discrimination, but from institutional factors. Mainly, there's already a system in place for dealing with the fallout of a dying company (bankruptcy). When you have a system in place, you sort of have a playbook to follow.
    On the other hand, there's no such smooth system for massive financial failure. So the response was more haphazard and skattershot.
    In one situation, they have a good idea how to handle it. In the other, they're just throwing shit against the wall and hoping something sticks.

Draft saved Draft deleted