1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So does South Dakota now become just Dakota?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you watch "How the States Got Their Shapes", Ohio wasn't a "real" state until the 20th Century because the proclamation of statehood was never issued, if I remember correctly.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, now South California can become a state, and we won't have to change the flag.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Settle financially with North Dakota on all that federal funding it's gotten over a century plus...if they can't come up with it, sell to Canada, pay off the debt and let South California get statehood. Flag stays the same.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The funny thing about North Dakota is that it's full of Tea Party sympathizers. There "get the federal government out of my business" line of thinking stops when you suggest ending farm subsidies and the feds chipping in for flood protection.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

North Dakota has oil.

Lots and lots of oil.

Minnesota should invade and lay claim to the Bakken.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Isn't North Dakota where all of our missile silos are?

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Re: Ohio...I've wondered about those states labeled as a "commonwealth."

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At one point, the state of North Dakota, had it seceeded, would have been the third-most powerful nation in the world.

For a very long time, both of ND's senators, its congressman and governor were all Democrats. There's also the State Bak of Nortrh Dakota, a state grain elevators, etc.

As far as "owing" the Federal government, I'm not sure the farmers, etc., who lost millions of acres when Lake Sakakawea was formed were ever fairly compensated. And millions of acres were taken for the construction of Minot and Grand Forks air bases, ahthough they obviously have had a positive impact on the economies of those cities.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I thought the commonwealths were Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Massachusetts.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Rhode Island wonders what it's got to do to get a little respect.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Become an official commonwealth, maybe?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_(U.S._state)

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

BUILD THE DANG FENCE!

Draft saved Draft deleted