1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So does Cam Newton get your Heisman vote?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Nov 28, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

talk about apples vs. oranges. one guy was a performance-enhancing drug freak. newton hasn't been accused of doing a darn thing to fool voters into believing he's the best college football player in the land. and yes, i'm among those who would not regret voting for reggie bush, despite his subsequent forfeiture of the trophy. he was the best college player when he won the heisman, too. neither he nor cam allegedly violated ncaa recruiting rules. no big whoop to me.

i'll let all you college puritans duke this one out. until one of you can convince me that cam isn't the best player, regardless of what his idiot of a dad may have done, how can i not back newton?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd bet you at least 10 Heisman winners were lured to campus with more money than it may or may not have taken to get Newton to Auburn. BFD. Looking for purity in college sports is like looking for a virgin on stage at a strip club. The guy's the best player in the country by a mile. The biggest crime of the year in CFB would be him not winning the Heisman.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not sure how it's apples and oranges. Both of them will have won awards while under a cloud of suspicion regarding whether they violated rules, and in fact if the Newton allegations are true, he is far more afoul of the existing rules of the time than Bonds was. As for whether Newton had a part in all of it, the story about him crying and telling the Mississippi State recruiter he wouldn't be going there because "the money's too much" at Auburn certainly feeds suspicion.

He'll win in a landslide, I have no doubt. And if he wants to be the Curt Flood of college football and crusade to open up the system, I'm all for it. I can't wait to see that player strike before a huge game, the kind of thing we hear about every few years, over the working conditions.

Cam and his dad don't seem to want to do that, though.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

'tis apples/oranges to me 'cause one 'violator' saw his performance on the field -- my prime concern as a fan -- incredibly enhanced by his 'rules infraction.' i do not see at all where the same can be said of cam's on-the-field performance; in fact, for a college-aged player to perform as he has under the scrutiny of the last month only furthers his heisman worthiness, again in my eyes.

as noted, i'm among those who do not recoil in horror that all kinds of recruiting violations go on matter-of-factly on this level, with players, their families and the schools all having guilty roles.

but, sorry, it matters not at all to me. i have no horse in this race. i don't root for any particular school, i simply enjoy the games and appreciate the athletes.

so all i give a darn about is who the best players are as they audition for nfl careers. and if those best players perform as they do via natural abilities and hard work as opposed to other aids.

newton has passed all the tests i require to be the heisman winner, with no regrets i can see in sight...

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The thing is, if Kellen Moore or LaMichael James were to win the Heisman, they would be dubiously known as the undeserving Heisman winner. For the same reason Vince Young doesn't want Reggie Bush's Heisman, it seems like a fallacy to vote for anyone but Newton.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The best player should win it and as long as they should not have to give it back later.

Auburn, on the other hand, might have a trophy or two it has to give back later... :D

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's the most exciting player in the collegiate game. Yes, he would get my vote.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Won't be the first time . . . or the last.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is the wrong year for voters to get all sanctimonious about it. There's no one else even remotely close to vote for.

If Kellen Moore is second it's by about 10,000 miles.

10. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

this is football. lighten up.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Robinson is still putting up silly numbers despite missing a bunch of time, right? First QB with 1,500-1,500? Ridiculous. His defense cost him the Heisman.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The 7-37 loss this weekend didn't help him either.

Draft saved Draft deleted