1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So does Cam Newton get your Heisman vote?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Nov 28, 2010.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

He's got mine, unless someone finds the smoking gun between now and the vote deadline. Who's more deserving?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If it wasn't for a few voters who will hold the investigation against him, this could be one of the biggest Heisman blowouts ever.

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

innocent until proven guilty. he's by far the best player out there...

4. Heisman voters aren't supposed to be NCAA investigators. You vote for the best player on the field until it's proven he has done something illegal. If you want, hold your ballot until the last day to make sure nothing new has come out.

And if I had a vote, he would certainly get it at this point.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

innocent until proven guilty only applies in the criminal law context. If your child's baby sitter was accused of molesting your neighbor's children, would you continue to use that baby sitter until the outcome of the court case?

6. writingump

writingump Member

Talked with two Heisman voters yesterday. One said, "he's dirty and I won't vote for him." The other is voting for him under the premise of innocent until proven guilty. I would lean towards the latter, but I'm glad I don't vote for the Heisman this year. Because whatever ends up happening at Auburn, whether it's next month or sometime next year, won't end up being very good for Newton or the school.

7. The difference is nobody gets hurt if Cam Newton wins the Heisman Trophy.

And if this keeps Newton from winning the Heisman, you can be sure it's going to spawn some anti-Heisman campaigns based on shady accusations in the future.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

if he is "guilty," what is he guilty of, allegedly? regardless he's still a college football player, right? the heisman is supposed to go to the best college football player in the country, right?

i dunno what the fuss here is about. newton should be the heisman winner in a landslide. the voters are not investigators. let them do their job. meanwhile, voters need to just do their job.

which = voting for newton.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's fine. Then let's just say that. What Newton's accused of is a victimless crime. It's not like one college said they wouldn't pay Newton and and his family any money because that's against the rules and they can't and won't do that. Newton put himself up for the highest bidder and Auburn won. No one gets hurt. But if I'm one of Newton's O linemen I'm telling Cam that if I don't get paid, he's going to be on his ass.

10. I'm not saying I doubt anything went on, but giving a football trophy to a guy while the NCAA sorts out accusations of payment is a little different the caution you'd be expected to make decisions with when it comes to keeping your child safe.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I did not vote for him. (Because I don't have a vote and had to vote online like the rest of the Joe Nobodys)

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't baseball voters get criticism for continuing to give Bonds MVP awards after his steroid use became obvious? I don't see why any reporter would be required to dismiss his powers of observation and other information he might have gleaned, the kind of stuff that is not reportable yet but can certainly influence your own opinion. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal concept that has no bearing on anything outside a court of law.

For all the people who vote for Newton, they might as well add a second line and put their contingent choice for when the award is returned in three years.

Draft saved Draft deleted