1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Dale Jr.'s leaving DEI?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 9, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Actually, I think that might be the best definition I've heard. Or perhaps some comparison to a Ms. Ono is required?

2. Side2Front

Side2Front New Member

Who cares if he's overrated, he's one of the faces of the "sport" that actually transcends past the fanboys and into the general pop culture community. NASCAR has two guys that can make a public appearance on a major network show or late-night talk show and get some buzz -- Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr. -- In both cases a lot of their fans are women, women who only watch racing for them, women who don't know, don't care and don't give a shit about his team or where he finishes.

Dale Jr. as a driver, mediocre. Dale Jr. as a sports personality is a moneymaker and if he jumps to a team where he'll be better resources and a better opportunity to win, his already extremely marketable image will continue to grow and grow into more money.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Boots, I'll bite.

Junior is overrated since his fans overrate him. They want him to be ol' Ironhead, and he just ain't.

Part of the reason that he ain't is immaturity. Part of that is not having the skill of his dad -- not necessarily something to be ashamed of. Part of it is DEI's ever-changing "plan," if there is/was one.

And part of it is that he just isn't as hungry as pops was. Junior's set for life, he was set for life 10 years ago, and he'll never have to work a day in the cotton mills or sweeping floors, like his dad did.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, great. You don't like him. Big deal. This thread isn't about that.

Now back on topic, what was Junior opening statement that was so solid?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It was more classy. He took the high road, basically wished DEI well when it would've been easy to throw Teresa under the bus.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

If you were a free agent, would you take a shit on your soon-to-be old boss?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

His daddy didn't win those 17 races. He did. 17 is a pretty good haul. His daddy didn't drive for a shit team. I'm real curious to see what this kid can do on a real team.
    And "big sister" will lock this shit up, too, if you keep up with your bullshit. Nice try, passing it off on "big sister" and tossing an insult in while you were on such a roll.

8. boots

boots New Member

If I wanted to insult you, I would. You know that. The earlier thread didn't need to be locked. You made it a bigger issue than it was. Then again, that's not anything new.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can you leave the thread open and just delete the bullshit? Some of us are trying to find out what really went on.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Guss I'm in the "interested to see what he'll do with solid equipment" camp. Although it's a bit of ancient history, I think his Busch Series days may have given a glimspe. He and Kenseth spent 2 seasons going head 2 head, both in (relative to the series) the very best equipment, pretty much dominating the show. Over the long run, only Kenseth moved into the same level of equipment (again, relative to the series & excluding the restrictor plate package) when he reached Cup. While Junior's 17 wins are certainly nothing to look down on.....it's pretty easy to consider Kenseth as having had the superior / champioship level career. Looked pretty even, coming in to the series....

I hope Junior's smart enough to NOT go down the "start your own team" route. I don't care HOW much sponsorship money you've got behind you.....please see: Waltrip, Michael......Waltrip, Darrell....Rudd, Rickey.......

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Let's all take a moment -- when considering stoob's opinion of Junior's racing abilities -- that this is the same guy who described Greg Oden as "not physically impressive."

We're dealing with someone who is clearly shit nuts or off his meds.

12. boots

boots New Member

And what do you call bullshit. The point about his being overrated or my posts. Or better yet, what makes your posts relevant. Get real guy. Everyone has an opinion. I expressed mine. Moddy expressed his. You express yours, and the world keeps on turning.
    What is your problem?

Draft saved Draft deleted