1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So-Cal Fire Thread -- BYOP*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Malibu burning

After the Old Fire in '03, San Bernardino County fire department crews have been hard at work every winter removing dead trees in the mountain communities and outlying areas.

SBFD spokesman Jeff Bradford said "several hundred homes" were saved from these fires because those dead trees were removed.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just heard on a San Diego TV station that aircraft is coming in from Wyoming and North Carolina to help fight the fires in San Diego.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Here's that AP story on the athletes, from LT to Trevor Hoffman to Tony Gwynn to Bruce Bochy, who are being affected by the fires.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjHsT1ZTbop9IFENa13V_a45nYcB?slug=ap-chargers-wildfires&prov=ap&type=lgns

4. Claws for Concern

Heard it too. The aircraft is expected to be here by noon on Tuesday.

5. Claws for Concern

Reportedly more than 200,000 acres have or are burning in San Diego.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Little Mountain fire has jumped the 215 freeway and is now burning ~1-5 miles away from the San Bernardino Sun offices. The Days Inn that is mentioned in the 4:44 p.m. blog entry is right across the street from the newsroom -- not even a mile away. Don't know if they'll have to evacuate yet, but it's getting too fucking close.

http://www.insidesocal.com/sb/fire/

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

At least the fire is to the south of the Days Inn and the Sun building and the winds are coming from the north. But still, yeah, that's too close.

8. Re: Malibu burning

Good luck, buck and others.

9. Claws for Concern

Re: Malibu and San Diego and other places are burning

San Diego Union-Tribune is all over the fire coverage down here.

www.signonsandiego.com/

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Malibu and San Diego and other places are burning

Boy, that's the real problem with all of this.

I went to bed last night thinking about the Malibu fire and how bad it got last night. (After driving home through the nasty winds in Chino, of course.) Then I wake up and it's all about San Diego and the 250K evacs down there. Then the fire in Ontario, and bigger ones in the San Berdoo mountains. Then more in Santa Clarita/Antelope. Now all the updates about the Little Mountain fire that's near the Sun offices.

Fuck. The whole fucking world is on fire out here.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I was up in Malibu last night and it looked amazing at night but sad for all the million dollar homes that are currently in danger of burning up.

I remember the fire I had to cover about 2 years ago now in Malibu and that one was not as bad as this one and the winds are just spreading the fire at a speed to quick for LAFD.

12. Re: Malibu burning

Boy, that's the real problem with all of this.

I went to bed last night thinking about the Malibu fire and how bad it got last night. (After driving home through the nasty winds in Chino, of course.) Then I wake up and it's all about San Diego and the 250K evacs down there. Then the fire in Ontario, and bigger ones in the San Berdoo mountains. Then more in Santa Clarita/Antelope. Now all the updates about the Little Mountain fire that's near the Sun offices.

Fuck. The whole fucking world is on fire out here.
    [/quote]

Yeah, that's the thing I'm sitting here trying to figure out. If I have to evacuate from my place in SD, where do I go? Seriously. Just another place in SD? Or do I get out of town. Because it looks like the fires are surrounding all the ways out of town right now except for I-5, and even that they said they were considering closing in North County - which would be the way out of town up to LA.

Draft saved Draft deleted