1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So-Cal Fire Thread -- BYOP*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Re: Malibu burning

AP just moved that the Chargers are talking with the Cardinals about moving their practices to Tempe. And Tony Gwynn has been evacuated.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's almost to the day from a few years ago when the Chargers-Dolphins Monday night game had to be moved to Arizona.

3. Re: Malibu burning

Thanks for the well wishes, everybody.

Fortunately, I'm not really experienced at firestorms, but I've been through my fair share of natural disasters.

I'm still relatively new to the area, so my info might be a little sketchy about the areas.

But it seems pretty bad here in the SD area. The I-15 corridor - Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, and I think parts of Poway and Scripps Ranch - is I think under a mandatory evacuation. That's some nice middle-upper class homes as well as a few really nice homes in Poway. (I think Poway is where Tony Gwynn lives as well as a few NFL players.) The area between I-15 to I-5 and between CA-56 and I think CA-78 is under a mandatory evacuation. That area includes super toney Rancho Santa Fe and Carmel Valley. That's where we went to the grocery one time and saw this big crate of carrots and wondered aloud what they were for and a women came up to us and whispered horses, because that's where people have estates with horses and horse properties. There are also evacuations I think Ramona, Lakeside and areas in south and east San Diego county. There are voluntary evacuations in Solana Beach and DelMar.

All over the news, which is on continuously right now, people are saying because of the super dry conditions, wind and high temps, this is the worst firestorm in San Diego and/or CA history. I had a couple of medical appointments - one today and one tomorrow- that have already been canceled. Schools are closed. And people are walking around with breathing masks.

I don't have to evacuate yet. But the evacuation area is close enough that it probably warrants me at least thinking of the stuff that I want to take and maybe gathering it together. Because it's getting close on the north and east of me.

Question to those maybe more experienced with this - if there are fires in LA, where do you evacuate to in SD? Other parts of SD? I'm more used to hurricanes where you get out of dodge in advance.

Claws, is there a place that you know of around SD to drop of pet stuff? I have some pet food samples from when we go to fairs with the dog and they give away food and treats.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Claws,
    Here's hoping you and everyone else in the area stay safe.

Prayers are coming man.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Del Mar race track and the parking lot at Qualcolmm Stadium are serving as evacuation centers in the San Diego area.

6. Claws for Concern

Qualcomm is as good as any place as I did see lots of people walking their dogs in the parking lot. Lots of schools or churches might also be good places to drop off stuff.

7. Claws for Concern

Thanks. I'm hoping the winds can die down enough that the rescue people and the water dropping planes can help contain the fires.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Are they bringing stuff in from other states or is there not enough time? I remember firefighters from all over the place descending on Idaho, Washington and Oregon during some really nasty fires growing up.

9. Claws for Concern

I haven't heard anything about outside firefighters coming in, but I wouldn't be surprised.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Haven't heard anything yet, either. Last year's Esperanza Fire brought in firefighters from at least five different states, and that's definitely S.O.P. for these things.

11. Claws for Concern

Arnold is going to visit Qualcomm Stadium folks tonight, the San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders just said in a live press conference.

12. Claws for Concern

1,200 National Guard troops are on the way to help all efforts, Sanders said.

Draft saved Draft deleted