1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So-Cal Fire Thread -- BYOP*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Re: Malibu burning

Lots of Chargers and Padres players have had to evacuate. Too early to tell if the Chargers game Sunday will be affected. Four years ago, they moved a home game to Arizona on a Monday night against the Dolphins.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

There were wildfires in several places. the Malibu is the big one, but there was also one in Ontario, which is about 35 miles east of Los Angeles. There are also reports of fires in the Lake Arrowhead area and people were evacuating. That is a mountain area which is more than one mile high - the fires in 2003 were very damaging and a lot of people lost homes in that area.

I have also heard about evacuations in San Diego county.

We aren't real close to the fires, but you can feel the smoke in the air.

The firefighters seem to be doing a heroic job trying to control the fires, and the fact that, when I checked earlier, only one person had died, is a testament to their efforts. However, the winds calming down and, hope against hope, rainfall might be the best blessing the area could receive.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

250k evacuated is an insane number. Just insane. I just saw a headline on Yahoo! that said the fires are 0 percent contained.
    Stop and think about that for a second.
    This is going to get really bad I have a feeling.
    Stay safe all of you California SportsJournalists.commers. Keep us updated on how things are in your area.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

for those who aren't in southern California, this might require some explanation.

Even though it might be 20 miles away, Running Springs is a mountain community and there are only a couple of roads up and down. So an evacuation probably is necessary caution. Best wishes for your relatives, Mile High.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Containment is a tricky term. The firefighters can get around a fire, but with the winds, an ember can be blown a couple of miles and another fire can start up.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This link that google has is pretty interesting. It has maps with information on all of the fires burning.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=117631292961056724014.00043d0e9ca465cefeeed&ll=35.960223,-117.443848&spn=4.827737,8.876953&z=7

Also, this note in the LA Times breaking news blog is crazy. A whole lot of houses are about to burn in this area:

7. MileHigh

My former paper is doing a great job on updates on the fires in the San Bernardino Mountains (Green Valley Lake/Lake Arrowhead).
    They just posted this:

Fire officials estimate that as of 3 p.m., a total of 113 homes have burned in the Grass Valley Fire and 15 in the Slide Fire, said U.S. Forest Service spokesman John Miller.
    He emphasized that the numbers are rough estimates.

http://www.insidesocal.com/sb/fire/

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's a lot of homes. I'm used to the fires in Washington where they just chew up thousands of acres, but rarely burn homes. It is crazy how these fires are burning right in the middle of towns.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Air support, as much as they need it, is impossible with the winds as strong as they are. A chopper would stand no chance. Makes it much harder to fight the fires.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Gola,

I was watching the live stream from one of the Socal stations earlier (2 families on my Norcal block have kids going to school in the fire area) They said the reason there were no water drops is because of how strong the winds were down low near the fire. The guy flying the news helicopter was at about 8000 feet and said that even up there the winds were blowing at about 50 knots. Said it was just too dangerous for the fire pilots to go up. Also said the fire pilots weren't happy about it. Which figures since they are part of the group that runs toward trouble while everyone else is running away.

Edit: as usual Buck is there first. :)

11. MileHigh

The 2003 Old Fire in the San Bernardino Mountains wiped out 91,000 acres and damaged more than 3,400 homes. Nearly 1,000 were destroyed.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Buck and all, I'm doing OK. I live in San Diego and where I live the smoky air is about the only real danger. It's definitely a crazy situation. My work gave us all today and tomorrow off as I've got co-workers who were evacuated early this morning and another friend of mine when I called him this morning was packing some things together because he was told there was a chance of a fire jumping toward his area. That really sucks.

Qualcomm Stadium is, indeed, an evacuation center. I drove over there already and dropped off an air mattress, pillows, a blanket, playing cards and yes, suntan lotion, as well as some extra water bottles as they had a disaster relief station and they were accepting stuff. One report earlier today said that more than 3,000 people were already there in the parking lots.

The governator has been on TV already as he's visited Malibu and is now in the San Diego area.

Here's hoping everyone stays safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted